What is the best book for understanding fluid mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking recommendations for a good book on fluid mechanics. They mention feeling difficulty in studying the subject and ask for suggestions on a book that explains basic principles clearly. Several options are mentioned, including "Mathematics Applied to Continuum Mechanics" by Segel, "Physical Fluid Dynamics" by Tritton, and "Elementary Fluid Mechanics" by various authors. The person also mentions their experience with "Engineering Fluid Mechanics" by Crowe, Roberson, and Elgar, which they find difficult to use. Another recommendation is "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White.
peeyush_ali
I'm feeling a lot of difficulty in studying fluid mechanics..
can anybody please kindly suggest me a good book for "fluid mechanics" either in the form of e-book or a hand book (or both) which explains basic principles explicitly..

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a lot of options out there: engineering type books, or physics type books. My favorite is "mathematics applied to continuum mechanics" by Segel or Tritton's book "Physical Fluid Dynamics". On the engineering side, there's a lot of books along the lines of "Elementary Fluid Mechanics" (I have several) that cover the same material. Hit the library and see what strikes your fancy.

a pre- engineering level book will be appreciable
thanks for messeging

I've been working my way through fluid mechanics using 'Crowe, CT, Roberson, JA & Elgar, Engineering Fluid Mechanics, 9th ed.' the text is making life a lot harder then it needs to be. It offers very little explanation, hundreds of questions per topic, without providing answers for half. Steer clear, unfortunately it's the one required for my course.

0470259779.jpg

"Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White is an excellent undergraduate book.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of science that deals with the study of fluids, both liquids and gases, and their behavior when in motion or at rest.

2. Why is fluid mechanics important?

Fluid mechanics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various engineering applications, such as designing airplanes, cars, and pipelines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and ocean currents.

3. What are the main principles of fluid mechanics?

The main principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help us understand how fluids behave and how they interact with their surroundings.

4. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Some real-life applications of fluid mechanics include designing efficient pumps and turbines, analyzing the flow of blood in the human body, and understanding the behavior of ocean currents and waves. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

5. How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures and seminars, and perform hands-on experiments to deepen your knowledge. Practice problems and simulations can also help you apply your knowledge to real-world scenarios.