1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book for quantum mechanics

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1

I'll have quantum mechanics next year so I figured I would read a book or two on the subject. Thus I am looking for an introduction, sort of the "perfect companion" to the more difficult texts. I would love something which would have problems in it as well. I hope you will help me to pick one
    I can't buy a book but I do have access to the following ones:

Landau, Lifgarbagez Quantum mechanics
    Landau, I can't miss with a book like that. But maby this should be my 2nd book on the subject?

Scheck Quantum mechanics
    This looked allright

McGraw Hill Quantum mechanics demystified - a self teaching guide
    Now if you look at the title that is exactly what I am looking for! Sort of Quantum physics for dummies. But after reading the reviews I started to have doubts

Griffiths Introduction to quantum mechanics
    That's the book I think I'll read. I really liked the reviews and the fact that it's more of a problem centered book

Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, Frank Laloe Quantum Mechanics (2 vol. set)
    This seemed like a REALLY nice one too. I can't really decide between this one and Griffiths

So I can't really decide! Has any of you read any of these books? I am sure you did. Feel free to suggest any other book

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2
    I forgot to mention Essential Quantum Mechanics by Gary Bowman
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    Extra suggestions: Shankar is one of my favorites. It's a standard grad text, but it really holds your hand and is an easier read than a lot of undergrad texts. Also the Schaum's book is pretty good.

For what you've mentioned so far, Griffiths is an excellent introduction to the subject, and is also pretty easy to read through. Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, Laloe is an outstanding reference, but it's way too much to just sit and read through. You'll end up encumbered by all the wonderful material, where with Griffiths you get your toolbox right away. Landau is definitely not a starter book, but you should have it on your shelf anyway, also for reference... and I don't know anything about the other books you mentioned.
  5. Jun 13, 2008 #4
    will.c beat me to it: I was about to suggest Shankar, though I hate his "do what comes naturally.".
  6. Jun 13, 2008 #5
    Hi will.c

Thanks for the extra suggestions, I'll definetally look up those! :approve:

As for the over books you mentioned now I just want to get Griffith's book even more :smile:
    I looked it up at amazon.com via the cool "search inside" feauture. Looks really good. I've also looked up the older topics in the forum, people seem to mention it over and over again. That's a must I thought. Seems like the best candidate for my 1st QM book so far
    Yeah Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, Laloe book is indeed a BIG one. But I will keep it mind
    As for Landau, yeah... I sort of felt that way :smile:

7. Jun 13, 2008 #6

thanks Werg

It means I'll have to keep a closer eye on that book
  8. Jun 13, 2008 #7
  9. Jun 13, 2008 #8

Gold Member

Essential Quantum Mechanics by Gary Bowman is a nice complement to the others. It gives a decent overview of the territory that is covered in depth in the others.
  10. Jun 13, 2008 #9
    Thanks xristy
    Yeah, I kind of liked that one and it isn't a big one as well. Exactly what I am looking for for now. I'll keep it in mind
  11. Jun 13, 2008 #10
    That's the one, armis.
  12. Jun 13, 2008 #11
    Thanks. Oh, it has exercises solved, nice. Basdevant - The Quantum Mechanics Solver 2nd Edition looks also quite good or does the Griffith book have exercises in it?

Wow, I am getting really excited about his QM stuff :smile: I better leave PC for a while before I start buying every QM book I find looking good enough
  13. Jun 14, 2008 #12
  14. Jun 14, 2008 #13
    thanks Murad
  15. Jun 14, 2008 #14
    I find this book sometimes rather opaque.

I think the main problems with the "demystified" books is sloppiness and shallowness.

I'll third the recommendation of Shankar. I also like an old text by Dicke and Wittke, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, which you can probably find at the library.
  16. Jun 14, 2008 #15
    Thanks Daverz
  17. Jul 28, 2008 #16
    Griffiths is the best introductory text you'll find. Landau-Lifgarbagez and Cohen-Tannoudji are far too dense to use as textbooks (in my opinion, at least). Keep them for reference.

The Demystified series is generally pretty crappy - I think whoever edits/proofreads them should get fired - the mistake to page ratio is greater than 1. Also, their proofs are crap: an older version of a Calculus Demystified book had something like the following:

"x-x0 goes to zero as x goes to x0, and f(x)-f(x0) goes to zero as x goes to x0, so (f(x)-f(x0))/(x-x0) must go to df/dx as x goes to x0". Ridiculous. Just because the top and the bottom go to zero doesn't mean it's a derivative.

Shankar is a great book that's aimed at undergraduates, but at a slightly higher level than Griffiths. You should be comfortable with linear algebra and differential equations before reading it.
  18. Aug 13, 2008 #17
    Thanks adartsesirhc. Your advice is greatly aprecciated
    I am reading Griffiths book right now. I think I'll use the shankar one during the study year.
  19. Aug 14, 2008 #18
    I second Zetilli
  20. Aug 28, 2008 #19
    What about Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. J. Sakurai? It is a fantastic book, but you should be read for dirac notation from the get go.
  21. Sep 21, 2008 #20
    I second ^_^physicist. I prefer Sakurai, but it doesn't seem exactly an introductory textbook.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?