Book for Statistical mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book on statistical physics with solutions available for the problems. The person has already used two great books, but neither provide answers or have solutions online. They are looking for suggestions for a book similar to the ones they've used, or an online resource with solutions. Another person recommends two books by M. Kardar with complete solutions for half of the problems, and R. Kubo's "Statistical Mechanics" which has worked and partially worked out problems and good explanations. They also mention a book by Dalvit that has exclusively problems and is also good, but may be difficult to find or expensive.
Maybe_Memorie
I'm looking for a book on statistical physics. One's I've used already are Huangs Intro one and Sachs/Sens/Sexton. They're both great and the problems are great but neither provide answers nor are there any solutions to be found online so I have no idea if I understand the material.

Could someone suggest a book similar to these but with solutions available or even just answers? Or even better if someone knows of any online resource that has some solutions to the problems in either.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two books by M. Kardar has complete solutions for half of the problems.

R. Kubo's "Statistical Mechanics" (not the 2 volume "stat physics" series) has tons of worked and partially worked out problems, plus really good explanations, best one on the subject I've laid hands on IMO.

The one by Dalvit has problems exclusively and is good too, although hard to find/expensive.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles or systems, such as atoms or molecules, and how they interact with each other.

2. How is statistical mechanics related to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics is the microscopic foundation of thermodynamics, which is the study of the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It provides a way to understand macroscopic properties of a system in terms of the behavior of its individual particles.

3. What are the main principles of statistical mechanics?

The main principles of statistical mechanics include the concept of entropy, which measures the disorder or randomness of a system, and the fundamental assumption that all microstates (possible arrangements of particles) are equally likely to occur.

4. What are some applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics has many applications in various fields, such as chemistry, engineering, and biology. It is used to study the properties of materials, thermodynamic processes, and phase transitions, among others.

5. How can statistical mechanics be applied to real-world problems?

Statistical mechanics can be applied to real-world problems by using mathematical models and statistical methods to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems. For example, it can be used to understand the properties of materials at different temperatures, or to design more efficient engines and refrigeration systems.