Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book Names

1. Aug 5, 2004 #1
    Hi, just wondering if anyone would happen to know of some good books on semiconductors/intro semiconductor physics. Any names would help a lot tnx.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's Kittel and Ashcroft & Mermin to start you off on solid state physics. There's chapters in both that deal with semiconductors - this is probably a pretty good place to start.

Then there's Simon Sze's Physics of Semiconductor Devices and I like Davies' Physics of Low-Dimensional Semiconductors.

I've also read some of Bhattacharya's Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices and thought that was okay.

There's one more text I used some years ago - can't remember the name...
  4. Aug 6, 2004 #3
    Hey thnx so much Gokul i really appreciate it. I will search those books at either half.com or amazon. Have a great day.

5. Aug 6, 2004 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the better books out there is Fundamentyals of Semiconductors by Yu and Cardona. It assumes a fair amount of background knowledge but is a solidly written text that connects theory and experiment.
  6. Aug 6, 2004 #5
    Hi, tnx for the help Doc, i will def. add to my order from amazon.

7. Aug 9, 2004 #6
    "Solid-State Physics, An introduction to principles of materials science", by Ibach and Luth is pretty good. The third ed. has good sections on semiconductor/physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?