Researching Semiconductors and Intro Physics

In summary, there are several recommended books on semiconductors and introductory semiconductor physics. These include Kittel and Ashcroft & Mermin's solid state physics textbooks, Simon Sze's Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Davies' Physics of Low-Dimensional Semiconductors, Bhattacharya's Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices, Fundamentals of Semiconductors by Yu and Cardona, and Solid-State Physics by Ibach and Luth. These texts cover a range of topics and are good resources for those interested in learning more about semiconductors.
Manu2380
Hi, just wondering if anyone would happen to know of some good books on semiconductors/intro semiconductor physics. Any names would help a lot tnx.

Manu

Physics news on Phys.org
There's Kittel and Ashcroft & Mermin to start you off on solid state physics. There's chapters in both that deal with semiconductors - this is probably a pretty good place to start.

Then there's Simon Sze's Physics of Semiconductor Devices and I like Davies' Physics of Low-Dimensional Semiconductors.

I've also read some of Bhattacharya's Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices and thought that was okay.

There's one more text I used some years ago - can't remember the name...

Hey thnx so much Gokul i really appreciate it. I will search those books at either half.com or amazon. Have a great day.

Manu

One of the better books out there is Fundamentyals of Semiconductors by Yu and Cardona. It assumes a fair amount of background knowledge but is a solidly written text that connects theory and experiment.

Hi, tnx for the help Doc, i will def. add to my order from amazon.

Manu

"Solid-State Physics, An introduction to principles of materials science", by Ibach and Luth is pretty good. The third ed. has good sections on semiconductor/physics.

JMD

1. What are semiconductors and how do they work?

Semiconductors are materials that have properties between that of insulators and conductors. They can conduct electricity under certain conditions, but not as easily as conductors. This is due to their structure, which allows them to have a partial flow of electrons. The flow of electrons can be controlled by adding impurities or manipulating the material's temperature, making them useful for electronic devices.

2. What are some common uses of semiconductors?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, such as transistors, diodes, solar cells, and integrated circuits. They are also used in optoelectronics, which combines the principles of electronics and optics, for devices like LEDs, lasers, and photodetectors.

3. How are semiconductors researched and developed?

Research on semiconductors is primarily conducted through experimental studies in a laboratory setting. Scientists use various techniques, such as chemical vapor deposition, molecular beam epitaxy, and lithography, to fabricate and test different materials and structures. The development of new semiconductors also involves computer simulations and modeling to predict their properties and performance.

4. What are some challenges in researching semiconductors?

One of the biggest challenges in researching semiconductors is the complexity of their behavior. The properties of semiconductors are highly dependent on their structure, composition, and external factors like temperature and electric fields. Additionally, as technology advances, researchers face the challenge of developing new and improved semiconductors that can meet the demand for faster, smaller, and more energy-efficient devices.

5. How does introductory physics relate to the study of semiconductors?

Introductory physics provides the fundamental concepts and principles that are essential for understanding semiconductors. These include topics such as electricity, magnetism, atomic structure, and quantum mechanics. The study of semiconductors also involves applications of physics, such as the behavior of electrons and the principles of energy conversion, making it an interdisciplinary field that combines physics with materials science and engineering.