Book on aerodynamics

heyy guys,
i am a mechanical engineer...i love aerodynamics...and i have completed reading introduction to the aerodynamics of flight-theodore.a.talay....i know all the basics somewhat....i am taking part in SAE Aero design competition next year....can you tell me what to read next....so i have enough skills to design an rc aircraft..the competition requires you to do wind tunnel testing and cfd analysis....also doing fluid mechanics course in college..thanks

Answers and Replies

You should look into Ref. [1] for aircraft design at a basic level. For aerodynamics, look at Ref. [2,3].

References
[1] Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders, D.P. Raymer
[2] Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, John D. Anderson
[3] Theory of wing sections, Abbot and Von Doenhoff

Last edited:
heyy guys,
....so i have enough skills to design an rc aircraft..
I would suggest you get Simons, Martin; Model Aircraft Aerodynamics; Nexus Special Interests; Herts, England; 1994. An excellent book, a lot of illustrations, pretty much the bible of the radio controlled aircraft community

Also. I would recommend Lennon, Andy; Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design, Practical Techniques for Building Better Models; Air Age Inc; Wilton, CT; 1996. An excellent design guide for R/C Aircraft

Some other books I would recommend are the following:
  • Ashley, Holt and Marten Landahl; Aerodynamics of Wings and Bodies; Dover Publications, Inc.; New York, NY; 1965
  • Ashley, Holt; Engineering Analysis of Flight Vehicles; Dover Publications, Inc.; New York, NY; 1974
  • Von Mises, Richard; THEORY OF FLIGHT; Dover Publication Inc.; New York, NY; 1995
  • Smith, Hubert C.; The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics, Second Edition, Tab Books; Blue Ridge Summit, PA; 1992

Enjoy

Last edited:
for aircarft design i suggest you (along with abve listed)
1) Aircraft Design Projects for engineering students - Lloyd R. Jenkinson,James F. Marchman
2) Aircaft Performance and design - J D Anderson
3) The design of the aeroplane - Darrol stinton
4) Aircraft design (i think auther is cork)
5) aircraft design: a conceptual approch - D P Raymer

the books listed by cyrus is imp books but for the SAE design compition you also require these buks also as to design whole aircraft

thanks a lot