Introduction to Aerodynamics of Flight - Theodore A. Talay

In summary: I will definitely look into those books.In summary, for someone looking to improve their skills in designing an RC aircraft for the SAE Aero design competition, recommended books include "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders" by D.P. Raymer, "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson, "Theory of wing sections" by Abbot and Von Doenhoff, "Model Aircraft Aerodynamics" by Martin Simons, "Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design" by Andy Lennon, "Aerodynamics of Wings and Bodies" by Holt Ashley and Marten Landahl, "Engineering Analysis of Flight Vehicles" by Holt Ashley, "Theory of Flight" by Richard Von Mises, "The Illustrated
kevjcarvalho
heyy guys,
i am a mechanical engineer...i love aerodynamics...and i have completed reading introduction to the aerodynamics of flight-theodore.a.talay...i know all the basics somewhat...i am taking part in SAE Aero design competition next year...can you tell me what to read next...so i have enough skills to design an rc aircraft..the competition requires you to do wind tunnel testing and cfd analysis...also doing fluid mechanics course in college..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look into Ref. [1] for aircraft design at a basic level. For aerodynamics, look at Ref. [2,3].

References
[1] Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders, D.P. Raymer
[2] Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, John D. Anderson
[3] Theory of wing sections, Abbot and Von Doenhoff

Last edited:
kevjcarvalho said:
heyy guys,
...so i have enough skills to design an rc aircraft..

I would suggest you get Simons, Martin; Model Aircraft Aerodynamics; Nexus Special Interests; Herts, England; 1994. An excellent book, a lot of illustrations, pretty much the bible of the radio controlled aircraft community

Also. I would recommend Lennon, Andy; Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design, Practical Techniques for Building Better Models; Air Age Inc; Wilton, CT; 1996. An excellent design guide for R/C Aircraft

Some other books I would recommend are the following:
  • Ashley, Holt and Marten Landahl; Aerodynamics of Wings and Bodies; Dover Publications, Inc.; New York, NY; 1965
  • Ashley, Holt; Engineering Analysis of Flight Vehicles; Dover Publications, Inc.; New York, NY; 1974
  • Von Mises, Richard; THEORY OF FLIGHT; Dover Publication Inc.; New York, NY; 1995
  • Smith, Hubert C.; The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics, Second Edition, Tab Books; Blue Ridge Summit, PA; 1992

Enjoy

Last edited:
for aircarft design i suggest you (along with abve listed)
1) Aircraft Design Projects for engineering students - Lloyd R. Jenkinson,James F. Marchman
2) Aircaft Performance and design - J D Anderson
3) The design of the aeroplane - Darrol stinton
4) Aircraft design (i think auther is cork)
5) aircraft design: a conceptual approch - D P Raymer

the books listed by cyrus is imp books but for the SAE design compition you also require these buks also as to design whole aircraft

thanks a lot

1. What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air moves around objects, particularly in relation to how it affects the flight of aircraft.

2. What topics are covered in "Introduction to Aerodynamics of Flight"?

The book covers a variety of topics related to aerodynamics, including basic principles, airfoils and wings, drag and lift, stability and control, and performance and design.

3. Who is the author of "Introduction to Aerodynamics of Flight"?

The author of the book is Theodore A. Talay, who has a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering and has worked as a professor and researcher in the field for over 40 years.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is designed as an introductory text and assumes no prior knowledge of aerodynamics. It is suitable for students and enthusiasts who are new to the subject.

5. Are there any practical applications of the concepts covered in this book?

Absolutely. The principles of aerodynamics are crucial in the design and operation of aircraft, as well as other vehicles such as cars and boats. Understanding aerodynamics is also important for optimizing the performance and efficiency of various industrial and environmental processes.