Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Book on aerodynamics

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    heyy guys,
    i am a mechanical engineer...i love aerodynamics...and i have completed reading introduction to the aerodynamics of flight-theodore.a.talay....i know all the basics somewhat....i am taking part in SAE Aero design competition next year....can you tell me what to read next....so i have enough skills to design an rc aircraft..the competition requires you to do wind tunnel testing and cfd analysis....also doing fluid mechanics course in college..thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
    You should look into Ref. [1] for aircraft design at a basic level. For aerodynamics, look at Ref. [2,3].

References
    [1] Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders, D.P. Raymer
    [2] Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, John D. Anderson
    [3] Theory of wing sections, Abbot and Von Doenhoff

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. Mar 26, 2010 #3
    I would suggest you get Simons, Martin; Model Aircraft Aerodynamics; Nexus Special Interests; Herts, England; 1994. An excellent book, a lot of illustrations, pretty much the bible of the radio controlled aircraft community

Also. I would recommend Lennon, Andy; Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design, Practical Techniques for Building Better Models; Air Age Inc; Wilton, CT; 1996. An excellent design guide for R/C Aircraft

Some other books I would recommend are the following:
    • Ashley, Holt and Marten Landahl; Aerodynamics of Wings and Bodies; Dover Publications, Inc.; New York, NY; 1965
    • Ashley, Holt; Engineering Analysis of Flight Vehicles; Dover Publications, Inc.; New York, NY; 1974
    • Von Mises, Richard; THEORY OF FLIGHT; Dover Publication Inc.; New York, NY; 1995
    • Smith, Hubert C.; The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics, Second Edition, Tab Books; Blue Ridge Summit, PA; 1992

Enjoy

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. May 15, 2010 #4
    for aircarft design i suggest you (along with abve listed)
    1) Aircraft Design Projects for engineering students - Lloyd R. Jenkinson,James F. Marchman
    2) Aircaft Performance and design - J D Anderson
    3) The design of the aeroplane - Darrol stinton
    4) Aircraft design (i think auther is cork)
    5) aircraft design: a conceptual approch - D P Raymer

the books listed by cyrus is imp books but for the SAE design compition you also require these buks also as to design whole aircraft

6. Jun 3, 2010 #5
    thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook