Climate Science Books: Intro-level Texts & Pop Sci Books

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's interest in climate science and their search for introductory textbooks or pop-sci books on the subject. They also mention taking a course on atmospheric physics and looking into computer programming. Suggestions for books include "Global Warming: The Complete Briefing" by John Houghton, "Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Dynamics: An Introductory Text" by John Marshall and R. Alan Plumb, and "Climate: A Very Short Introduction". They also mention the possibility of reading "A Farewell to Ice: A Report from the Arctic" by Peter Wadhams and "Climate Change: What the Science Tells Us" by Charles Fletcher.
LittleMrsMonkey
I am going into my second year in undergrad,starting to look into the different disciplines and self study on what I might do in graduate school.But I haven't yet decided what I want to do in graduate(which is fine,I know).For the moment,I am drawn to climate science.
So,I would appreciate any suggestions on either an introductory textbook or a pop-sci book by a climate scientist etc.Anything good,really.Just not a graduate level textbook.
Keep in mind that this semester I am doing an introductory course on atmospheric physics,so I'm looking for a climatology oriented introductory textbook since I'll have an introduction to the broader field anyway.
Edit:Actually,just anything interesting on atmospheric physics.
EDIT: Well,I'll take any suggestion on studying climate science.Fire away.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LittleMrsMonkey said:
introductory textbook or a pop-sci book
For very "fluffy" surveys the "Complete Idiot's Guides" and "Blank for Dummies" series aren't too horrible. Not a whole lot of detail, but still fairly compete surveys.

"Global Warming: The Complete Briefing", John Houghton, 4th edition, Cambridge University Press, 2009

This is an introductory overview, written by one of the ipcc head people. It's quite nontechnical.

Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Dynamics: An Introductory Text", John Marshall and R. Alan Plumb, 1st edition, Academic Press, 2007

This one is quite short and goes through a lot of the math and fluid dynamics in the atmosphere. If you have a couple of calculus courses it should be well within your reach.

Likes LittleMrsMonkey
Thank you very much,just got the second one from the library.

You can also check out Climate: A Very Short Introduction. I've only read some of it, but it seems like a great way to see how interested you are.

Oh, and it's only like 150 pages.

You may still be interested to read a recent Penguin book:

"A Farewell to Ice: A Report from the Arctic" by Peter Wadhams, Published 1st September 2016

Climate Change: What the Science Tells Us by Charles Fletcher is a good survey of the peer-reviewed science on climate change, as well.

I'd also recommended looking at computer programming, to see if you can develop a taste for it. I recommend looking at some tutorials for Python if you're not a programmer yet.

Also, check out some tutorials for GNU Octave and R. GNU Octave is a close approximation of a free version of MATLAB. MATLAB and R are both used by climate scientists.

1. What is climate science?

Climate science is the study of the Earth's climate system, including the atmosphere, oceans, land surfaces, and interactions between these components. It involves understanding the physical, chemical, and biological processes that influence Earth's climate and how they have changed over time.

2. Why is it important to learn about climate science?

Climate science is crucial because it helps us understand the complex interactions between different components of the Earth's climate system and how they are affected by human activities. It also helps us predict and mitigate the impacts of climate change on our planet and society.

3. What are some popular intro-level texts for learning about climate science?

Some popular intro-level texts for learning about climate science include "Introduction to Modern Climate Change" by Andrew Dessler, "Climate Change: A Very Short Introduction" by Mark Maslin, and "The Climate Crisis: An Introductory Guide to Climate Change" by David Archer and Stefan Rahmstorf.

4. Are there any recommended pop sci books on climate science?

Yes, there are many recommended pop sci books on climate science, including "The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming" by David Wallace-Wells, "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate" by Naomi Klein, and "The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History" by Elizabeth Kolbert.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in climate science?

You can stay updated on the latest developments in climate science by following reputable news sources, such as NASA, NOAA, and the IPCC. You can also subscribe to scientific journals and attend conferences and lectures on climate science. Additionally, following climate scientists and organizations on social media can also provide you with timely updates and insights.