1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book on Cosmology

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm looking for a comprehensive introduction to cosmology at the upper undergrad or grad level. Any suggestions? I took out Narlikar's (An introduction to cosmology) book from the library, and it looks alright, but I would like some suggestions on other books as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A couple of suggestions:

Dodelson, Modern Cosmology;
    Kolb & Turner, The Early Universe;.
    Weinberg, Cosmology

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Physical Foundations of Cosmology - Mukhanov

An Introduction to Modern Cosmology - Liddle (quite short book)

Introduction to Modern Astrophysics - Carroll (Big book which also contains physics of galaxies and stars) Quite cheep if you get paperback, good reference for all astrophyiscs.

An Introduction to Galaxies and Cosmology - Jones (cheap in paperback, contains also physics of galaxies, good introduction book)

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the suggestions. Out of curiosity, which of these have new enough editions to discuss dark matter and dark energy?

6. Apr 27, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All of them are new enough, but not all of them have the approach that they discuss why these features are needed etc. e.g. Physical Foundations of Cosmology - Mukhanov is more of a book going through the physics to research in cosmology, not so much about observations etc.

You can go to e.g. amazon, and the publishers websites to read their table of contents, or try to find them in your library.

All the books I listed I either own or have used, and I am quite content with them :-)

The 'newest' books on cosmology is Weinbergs and the oxford companion to cosmology (should be available at paperback)

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199560844

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780198526827

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook