Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book on lie groups

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    I'm taking a course on Lie Groups and the Representations. We are using the book: Representations of compact Lie Groups by Bröcker and Dieck, and I find it very unorganized and sometimes sloppy. Can anybody recommend a very clear and rigorous book, where it is not prove by example, "it is easily seen", etc.

I have taking a course on manifolds and riemannian geometry so i'm not a complete novice in the field of differential geometry.

I've been thinking about the book Compact Lie Groups by Sepanski, anybody got a comment on this book?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I know next to nothing about the topic, but I am a professional mathematician and thus understand the value of expert treatments.

hence i would suggest looking at the books by great experts like chevalley, weyl, serre.

such books tend to be hard and condensed , but well organized and authoritative.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?