1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Book on quantum electrodynamics

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    Can anyone suggest me a book on quantum electrodynamics for beginners? Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The most elementary QED textbook I have ever seen is "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" by Robert Klauber. I don't think it can get easier than that.
    A good introductory book, is "Quantum Field Theory for Gifted Amateur" by Stephen Blundell and Tom Lancaster.

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

My favorite as an introduction is

Schwartz, M. D.: Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2014

5. Apr 7, 2016 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I plan to write a relatively short book draft on QED, but it won't be for beginners. The recommendations above are good, as long as "beginner" means that you've taken QM at a decent level.

6. Apr 7, 2016 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I also recommend the excellent book "Introduction to Quantum Effects in Gravity" by Mukhanov and Winitzki. At first one may think this is about QFT in curved spacetime and so isn't proper for someone who's just starting to learn QFT but that's not the case!
    IMHO, an ideal combination is:
    Lancaster and Blundell --> Schwartz+Mukhanov and Winitzki(with the main focus being Schwartz) --> Hatfield (Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings)
    Of course you don't have to read all the above books cover to cover, but only Schwartz and Hatfield!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted