Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book on quantum physics

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am not much of a quantum physicist but love reading texts on QP.
    I have a small problem and maybe, I thought, users of this forum can help me out.

About 10 years ago, when I was still a teenager, I remember reading a book on Quantum Physics. I still remember the book was a fantastic read. Concepts were explained in an extremely simple manner that all could understand. I bet it was a classic.

Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the book as well as its author.
    One thing I know for sure that the book was written by a Russian. The cover of the book was black and yellow. The top half black and the bottom yellow or vice versa. I think but am not sure that it was a translation. The author made quantum physics look so simple (remarkably). The texts were mostly theory (very little mathematics) with illustrations. The book was not a text book for school or university students but for a layman.

If anyone in the forum can tell me the name of the book and its author provided the information above, I would be extremely grateful.

I am willing to let you know any other information that you require.

Thanks and regards,
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Could it be you mean George Gamow ? He wrote several books for laymen. I haven't read one of them so I can't tell you if they contain the things you' mentioned. I didn't succeed in finding cover images of an old edition on abebooks so I can't tell whether named colours match.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?