1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book on quantum Physics

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    Some days ago, a professor in physics recommended a book on Quantum Physics to me. It's
    quite a popular book ,he'd said. But I conviniently forgot the name! All I remember is the first three letters of the name of the author, they are "BIE" and there is an "s" somewhere(which the professor pronounced as "z") in the name. All I remember is that, the name was quite short( around 6-8 letters long). Can anybody help me with the name of the book?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2
    I couldn't find anything under B-I-E, but for B-E-I I found a physics textbook author named Arthur Beiser. Best bet would be to ask your professor though.

4. Jun 30, 2009 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jun 30, 2009 #4
    Thank you very much sir, Arthur Beiser it was! I wasa mistaken about the BEI..actually, was a bit confused about the actual spelling. This clears a lot of things , thanks again!

6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    Kurdt, well, I did actually find the book with BAnders1's help..but thank you very much for helping out! I'm sorry for my confusion about the actual spelling..Thanks again !

7. Jul 2, 2009 #6
    Which book is this?

8. Jul 2, 2009 #7
    I think it's Arthur Beiser's Concepts of Modern Physics. There's also the briefer Modern Physics: an introductory survey by the same author.

9. Jul 3, 2009 #8
    Danke.

10. Jul 3, 2009 #9
    Yes , it is Arthur Beiser. Well, I've got a doubt of my own.
    Now, im an electronics engineering student, and i've had very little experience with physics. Also, I was very intruged by quantum physics and it's use in the basics of electronics like electron flow, superconductivity,etc. Is this the best book around to understand Quantum Physics or Modern Physics?

11. Jul 3, 2009 #10
    I'd recommend
    1) Intro to Quan Mech by David J Griffiths
    2) Principles of Q M by R Shankar
    3) Modern Quan Mech by J J Sakurai

(The latter only to be read after the first two)
    for Quan Phy.

For modern Physics, no idea! There's so much that any particular author will be good at something and gross at other topics!

12. Jul 3, 2009 #11
    Hey..thanks! I'll surely refer to this stuff..can i ask u if i have doubts?

13. Jul 3, 2009 #12
    Caution: The applications come in after mastering the basics.
    And indeed, you probably can, and certainly may, ask doubts. Just message me the link to the corresponding thread...
    Cheers,

14. Jul 3, 2009 #13
    Thank you very much! I'll start right away!
    Best wishes!

15. Jul 6, 2009 #14

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My standard recommendation for QM is

1. Introduction to quantum mechanics, by David Griffiths.
    2. Lectures on quantum theory: mathematical and structural foundations, by Chris Isham
    3. Quantum mechanics: a modern development, by Leslie Ballentine.

I think Ballentine is much better than Sakurai. It would however be a really bad choice for a first book. You need something like the other two first.

16. Jul 11, 2009 #15
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook