Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book on real analysis

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    iam reading analysis by terence tao 2 i can understand the book but cannot express the steps properly while writing proofs and solutions so please suggest me some book which has elaborate steps which can help me in writing whole steps involved in the solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    Check out Bartle and Sherbert, Rudin, or Spivak.

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Rudin is arguably the best. Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin, it's the standard text for analysis classes for a reason.

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    Rudin might not be what you're looking for. There are no elaborate steps in the sense that Rudin provides very clean and concise proofs. If you're looking for a text that will fill in a few steps here and there for you, Rudin is not the place to look. Isn't Tao's text based off of his lecture notes? If so, you should probably just stick with that, since Tao's notes are exceptionally clear and he includes a quite a bit of detail in his proofs.

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It is standard because it is the book the previous generation used and they want to inflict it on the next. Also it is ridiculouly overpriced. That said while baby Rudin provides the reader with neither insight nor enjoyment it does build "character".

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6
    Based on what you're looking for, "The Way of Analysis" by Robert Strichartz might be helpful.

8. Sep 17, 2009 #7
    I am personally using the book Introduction to Real Analysis by William T. Trench it's great for self study and It's not a book that requires you to be "tricky".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook