Calculating Work Done by Gravity on a Moved Book

• Thread starter talaroue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Table
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about a book being lifted from a table to a bookshelf. The question asks for the work done by gravity on the book, but the initial equation used was for the work done by the person lifting the book. After realizing the mistake, the equation was reversed to find the correct answer.
talaroue

Homework Statement

A 1.7 kg book is lying on a 0.99-m-high table. You pick it up and place it on a bookshelf 2.43 m above the floor.
How much work does gravity do on the book

Homework Equations

Wmg=mgYi-mgYf

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that is the correct equation so I simply just plugged and chugged but it came out wrong. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
talaroue said:

Homework Statement

A 1.7 kg book is lying on a 0.99-m-high table. You pick it up and place it on a bookshelf 2.43 m above the floor.
How much work does gravity do on the book

Homework Equations

Wmg=mgYi-mgYf

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that is the correct equation so I simply just plugged and chugged but it came out wrong. What did I do wrong?

It might just be a sign error. Note that the question asks for the work done by gravity on the book. But the postive work done is by the person lifting the book...

Sorry guys I jumped the gun on this one. I soon realized that I just had to reverse my orginal equation. The equation that I have is for the work done by your hands picking the book up.

I just posted as you posted yeah, thanks for the help!

1. How was the book moved from the table to the shelf?

The book was most likely picked up and physically carried from the table to the shelf.

2. What caused the book to move from the table to the shelf?

The book was most likely intentionally moved by someone or something, such as a person picking it up or a strong gust of wind blowing it onto the shelf.

3. Is there any scientific explanation for the book moving from the table to the shelf?

Yes, the book's movement can be explained by the laws of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. An external force, such as a person's hand, acted upon the book causing it to move from the table to the shelf.

4. Can a book move from the table to the shelf on its own?

No, a book cannot move on its own without an external force acting upon it. Inanimate objects cannot move without a force being applied to them.

5. Is there any significance to the book moving from the table to the shelf?

This would depend on the context and circumstances of the book's movement. It could be a simple act of organization or it could hold symbolic meaning, such as someone putting the book away after finishing reading it.