1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Book preparing me for Goldstein

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    im 16,love physics, who is about to graduate school, before that i decided that school was too slow for me, so i decided to skip right to the good stuff....
    did precalculus and 'How to Prove it' to start me on calculus.
    i just finished Apostol's calculus vol 1 to prepare me for handling the mathematics to come in physics. i wanted to tackle Goldstein's classical mechanics but i heard its tough to handle without any background. i read that Taylor or Kleppner might be good to get me started as well as the Feynman lectures, whats your opinion?
    my physics is at the level of freshman, but i can handle tough stuff..
    and at what point do i need start learning multivariable, like say apostol vol 2?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I recommend doing Kleppner right now. If you know Apostol v1, then you definitely know enough math to do Kleppner. After Kleppner, you should do Taylor.
    As for Apostol v2, this covers multivariable calculus. That is obviously important, so I wouldn't postpone it for long. But it's not necessary to know in order to do Kleppner.

A word of warning which might or might not bother you (it bothered me): the calculus as done in Kleppner is somewhat different from Apostol. Kleppner fully uses the language of infinitesimals, which never really appear in Apostol. This might be confusing. If you wish to see calculus as framed in the language of infinitesimals, see Keisler's free book: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

The Feynman lectures are pretty great, but don't use them as main resource. They're useful as a secondary resource only. I recommend studying a chapter in Kleppner and then reading what Feynman has to see about it as a second opinion. You will probably want to revisit the same chapters in Feynman over and over again in your career...

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks, and how about Goldstein? should i do it after taylor? or does taylor cover as much goldstein?

5. Apr 2, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Goldstein is a graduate-school (post-bachelors) level text, except maybe at schools like MIT or Caltech.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted