Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book proof-reading feedback

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1

ibc

Hello

Say I'm reading a (scientific) book, and find all these small errors in it (typos and stuff, nothing serious). Is there anyone to send a list of all these errors, for the benefit of future printings? (does anyone care?)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2
    Send them to the author(s) if they are still alive. And/or send them to my web site:
    http://www.erratapage.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 31, 2010 #3

ibc

I was wondering if the author would appreciate being nagged by such things, or stuff like that are better being referred to the publisher? (or it isn't the publisher's job to take care of such things?)

In any case your site seems cool, I'll make sure to send my list there too.
    By the way, are the books eventually fixed (if they are still being printed) or do they keep printing the same version (and keep track of the errors in sites like yours)?

5. Aug 31, 2010 #4
    Send your reports to the author(s) if they are still alive. Most of them will thank you for your effort. My name appears in the acknowledgements section of several books in appreciation for sending such reports. If the book goes into a subsequent printing, the edits can be made at that time. If the authors are no longer living, it is unlikely that the publisher will take the responsibility of changing the book. They might, however, publish a list of errata along with the book. You are less likely to get a thank you, but it might happen. You almost certainly will not be mentioned in any acknowledgements.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook