1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book recommendations (Got any?)

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if any of you physics guru's have any good recommendations for college physics books. I'm taking my first semester of calc based physics, and the book required for my class is this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471216437/qid=1129070861/sr=8-10/ref=pd_bbs_10/102-4903779-8726509?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of this book. I especially don't like the lack clear derivations for the different physics concepts. I'm a huge book learner, and I'd like to find a good book that clearly and accurately outlines the different physics concepts and the math behind it. I was wondering if there was a better book than this one. Not that my current text book is bad, it just doesn't suit my learning style.
    Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with "An Introduction To Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow. Truly top notch, the perfect introductory mechanics book in my opinion.
  4. Oct 11, 2005 #3
  5. Oct 12, 2005 #4
    Hahah, funny... that's probably my favourite physics book to date..
    Anyway, I've heard "University Physics" by Young is alright, then again the reviews aren't too good...
    I'd just say, stay away from any Serway books. (His book College Physics has taught me never to trust his texts ever again...)
    "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Tipler is pretty good by the looks of it.. and our teacher's going to adapt it for our Calc-based physics class.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?