1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book Recommendations

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    I've read a few general physics books by Hawkings, Brain Greene, etc, but am looking for more of an astronomy/astrophysics book - namely one that talks more about the universe itself; black holes, quasars, and the like (rather then general theory).

Any must read recommendations?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    I would suggest Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip Thorne

4. Dec 3, 2011 #3
    thanks, i will def check it out.

any others?

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recommend The Extravagant Universe by Robert P. Kirshner. It is fairly inexpensive, but, well written and not exhaustively technical. If you are interested in a serious discussion on how science is done, this is a winner. Another good selection more specific to black hole is Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity by Taylor and Wheeler. It is more expensive and technical, but, also well written.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  6. Dec 4, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the recommendations. Ive had Exploring Black Holes on my radar for a while but heard it was quite technical (equations etc) and that I should read Taylor and Wheelers 'Sapcetime Physics' first?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook