Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book Research RE Spin Wave technology: Pseudoscience or just incomplete?

1. Jun 16, 2004 #1
    I am researching different technologies to fit into a science fiction story that I have been working on. While Sci-fi usually takes liberties with science in the name of good storytelling, I think it is important to provide as much believability as possible, and this is why I am coming to these forums.

Specifically, the problems I am having involve power generation and propulsion. In looking around, I came across a theory called "spin wave technology" that would solve some feasibility issues in my story. While the spin wave theory is currently a theory only, I am wondering what others who might have looked into it think about it. From reading about it, it doesn't seem totally implausible, but on the other hand most things that seem to good...you know the rest.

Answers like "It's Bunk" or, "Wow, it will save the world" aren't really useful. I am more interested in the FEASIBILITY behind the claims made about spin wave tech.

Is "spin wave technology" a valid pursuit that may or may not yield fruit one day, or is it simply well-disguised psuedo science?

In another post, User Integral has posted his opinion, but I'd be interested in messages that might say WHY they feel the way they do one way or another. :wink:

for the website concerning the research, you can go to the Vasant Corporation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2004 #2

This Post is an extension of what you are asking. We need science fictions writer to boost the imaginations of such serious folk who are so focused on the issues.

Follow the links and you will see how the Vasant Corporation can be used. And I don't even work for them:)

How will this change Quantum Computing?

Using Negative energy as boosters for space travel( see Bose Nova and/or Tipping Light Cones )

This Search Function will pretty well answer a lot of interestng question in this regard.

Fundamentals of Spin (try it)?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  4. Jun 16, 2004 #3
    Clarification and uses of Spin Waves for Storyline

Thanks for writing, Sol2!

I guess I should add the following information, it might make it easier to discuss the validity/believability of this theory for my particular application:

1) From a propulsion standpoint, the proposed "spin waves" electro-gravitational/electro-magnetic effect would be used to "Lighten the load" of a man-sized to twice-man sized unit. In addition, the effects would be used to perform assisted "jumping" and rudimentary short distance flight.

2) From a power standpoint, the effects would be used to generate power from the surrounding environment using a small device capable of power output without refuelling. What effects on the surrounding matter would be expected based on the spin wave theory?

3) Some elements of the story regard using electro-gravity effects to accelerate materials for use as projectile weaponry - sorta like a quantum-mechanical rail gun.

4) Using quantum computing to solve VERY complicated trajectory/space-time positioning equations in near real-time.

Discuss...Talk amongst yourselves!
  5. Jun 16, 2004 #4

The only way I could see using the Vasant Corporation, was to identify flunctuations of negative energy. This would help determine the travel of the ship, recognizing the fluctuations in the space time fabric, as currents for which this ship could use?

I am struggling to identify how this would be applied using current technology, and being consistent is very important with the theoretical.

I wanted to give you this link as well.

Don't forget to turn on your speakers :smile:
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?