Book Suggestions for Graduate Physics Exam

In summary, the conversation was about a civil engineer seeking book suggestions for graduate level physics topics, including quantum physics. The engineer was looking for a comprehensive book that covers all details in one volume, and the suggestions included "Physics for Scientists & Engineers" by Serway and Jewett and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. One person also recommended Paul A Tipler's books, particularly "Modern Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers." There was also a brief discussion about the connection between quantum mechanics and a forestry position.
Yadvendra
Summary:: Need book suggestion for following syllabus. (Globally available hardcopy is preferred)

I'm a civil engineer and need to study graduate level physics for an exam. I need suggestion for a book consisting basic to moderate depth of the topics below. I've comfortable with both, algebra and calculus based physics.
Ps. I studied Physics during my high school but topics like quantum physics are totally new to me.

Attachments

• C6FB9CC8-74C3-479F-ACCE-4AABCFD2C583(1).pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 247
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are there any schools that offer coursework per this syllabus? If so, I'd check out their textbook list as a starting point. This seems like a fairly specialized exam, so studying from general textbooks may not work as well as finding out what textbooks are fine-tuned for this coursework and exam.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are there any schools that offer coursework per this syllabus? If so, I'd check out their textbook list as a starting point. This seems like a fairly specialized exam, so studying from general textbooks may not work as well as finding out what textbooks are fine-tuned for this coursework and exam.
Textbook are fairly detailed and divided on the basis of semester and this is one of my optional subject, so the exam is going to be fairly easy but the problem is that I'm on a time limit. So a comprehensive book consisting all details in 1 book is my priority. I searched around on the internet and find out these 2 books...1. Physics for scientist & Engineer by Serway and Jewett
2. University physics by Young, Freedman.

Are any of these good for me considering the syllabus?

Quantum mechanics and solid state stuff for a forestry position? Why? What could possibly be the connection?

Dr.D said:
Quantum mechanics and solid state stuff for a forestry position? Why? What could possibly be the connection?
Maybe they want to look for quantum entanglement between species now.haha!

I have always liked Paul A Tipler's books. There is one "Modern Physics" and one "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" (or something similar).

1. What are some recommended books for studying for the graduate physics exam?

Some commonly recommended books for studying for the graduate physics exam include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John D. Jackson, "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria, "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas.

2. Are there any specific books that cover all topics of the graduate physics exam?

Unfortunately, there is no single book that covers all topics of the graduate physics exam. It is recommended to use a combination of books and study materials to cover all necessary topics.

3. Are there any online resources or practice questions for the graduate physics exam?

Yes, there are many online resources and practice questions available for the graduate physics exam. Some popular options include online study guides, practice exams, and forums where students can discuss and ask questions about the exam.

4. Are there any books that provide tips and strategies for taking the graduate physics exam?

Yes, there are several books that provide tips and strategies for taking the graduate physics exam. Some recommended titles include "Cracking the GRE Physics Exam" by The Princeton Review and "The Official Guide to the GRE Physics Test" by Educational Testing Service (ETS).

5. Can I use undergraduate physics textbooks to study for the graduate physics exam?

While undergraduate physics textbooks can be a helpful resource, it is recommended to also use graduate-level textbooks and study materials for the exam. Undergraduate textbooks may not cover all necessary topics or may not go into enough depth for the graduate level exam.