1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book to learn Java and OOP

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1

trollcast

Gold Member

I'm currently trying to learn java and I've managed to pick up most of the basics from tutorials and stuff on the internet (loops, conditionals, defining functions etc.).

However none of them provide a good explanation of OOP and how to use it in java, except for a very trivial example like creating a datatype to store a persons name and age. I'm interested in learning how you actually would use this in a program to build more complicated data structures like trees and stacks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

If you've gotten past the basic programming stage, you can start looking at data structures and their properties.

Look up information about the java collections framework. I would also recommend Data Structures & Algorithms in java by Goodrich and Tamassia if you're completely new to the concepts.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3

trollcast

Gold Member

Thanks, I know the basics of how some of the data structures work from computing class but I have never implemented them before in an actual programming language. Its more the implementation of them I don't understand rather than the actual theory of them (most of which is pretty accessable online anyway)

5. Mar 9, 2013 #4

NigelTufnel

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted