Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book wanted: Overview of Genetics

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    I am looking for a fairly comprehensive, well written overview of cell functions, DNA, Genes, Protiens, bacterium, viruses (virii?), reproduction, gestation, etc...

One that covers genetics and life from an easy to read and sensible perspective for people who are not University-Schooled biologists.

Basically an easy to read and follow Biology and Genetics 101 course in a book.

Any recommendations?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2
    Not sure how complicated/in-depth you are interested in. I am in grade 12 and I find our textbook to be quite useful. it may prove to be too simple for what you are looking for, but it covers simple genetics, the basis of DNA synthesis, systems of the human body and a number of other subjects. I believe it's called Nelson Biology.
    Hope this helps,
  4. Dec 12, 2004 #3
    Here's an amazing book I use for my AP Biology II class. It's very descriptive with amazing illustrations. Life The Science of Biology Seventh Edition by Purves, Sadava, Orians, and Heller.
  5. Dec 15, 2004 #4
    I will check them out.
  6. Dec 23, 2004 #5

I got one more, its explains the whole DNA process in a nutshell, then goes deep into DNA's purpose and the way it effects our lifes a very good book: Genome by Matt Ridley
  7. Dec 23, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should DEFINATELY get The Cell, by Garland publishing a CD-rom comes along with it and every topic is covered, from dna and proteins to development of organisms.
  8. Dec 24, 2004 #7
    Absolutely, any time I have a question about cell and molecular biology I turn to that book. I am not sure if it is as easy to read as what you are looking for though??? Although, it does have drawings, which seem to explain even the most difficult concepts in a way that is easy for anybody to understand.

9. Dec 24, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just becareful when you buy the book in a store, that you don't break the CDrom on your way home.. :rolleyes: I did, but luckily got it replaced.. I heard others who had the same problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?