Book wanted: Overview of Genetics

In summary: The Cell, by Garland Publishing, is an excellent book that covers all aspects of cell and molecular biology. It is easy to read and includes drawings to help explain difficult concepts.
one_raven
I am looking for a fairly comprehensive, well written overview of cell functions, DNA, Genes, Protiens, bacterium, viruses (virii?), reproduction, gestation, etc...

One that covers genetics and life from an easy to read and sensible perspective for people who are not University-Schooled biologists.

Basically an easy to read and follow Biology and Genetics 101 course in a book.

Any recommendations?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hey!
Not sure how complicated/in-depth you are interested in. I am in grade 12 and I find our textbook to be quite useful. it may prove to be too simple for what you are looking for, but it covers simple genetics, the basis of DNA synthesis, systems of the human body and a number of other subjects. I believe it's called Nelson Biology.
Hope this helps,
AF403

Here's an amazing book I use for my AP Biology II class. It's very descriptive with amazing illustrations. Life The Science of Biology Seventh Edition by Purves, Sadava, Orians, and Heller.

Thanks.
I will check them out.

I got one more, its explains the whole DNA process in a nutshell, then goes deep into DNA's purpose and the way it effects our lifes a very good book: Genome by Matt Ridley

You should DEFINATELY get The Cell, by Garland publishing a CD-rom comes along with it and every topic is covered, from dna and proteins to development of organisms.

Monique said:
You should DEFINATELY get The Cell, by Garland publishing a CD-rom comes along with it and every topic is covered, from dna and proteins to development of organisms.

Absolutely, any time I have a question about cell and molecular biology I turn to that book. I am not sure if it is as easy to read as what you are looking for though? Although, it does have drawings, which seem to explain even the most difficult concepts in a way that is easy for anybody to understand.

nautica

Just becareful when you buy the book in a store, that you don't break the CDrom on your way home.. :rolleyes: I did, but luckily got it replaced.. I heard others who had the same problem.

1. What is genetics?

Genetics is the study of genes, heredity, and variation in living organisms. It involves understanding how traits are inherited from parents to offspring, and how genetic information is passed down from generation to generation.

2. What topics are typically covered in an overview of genetics book?

An overview of genetics book typically covers topics such as the history of genetics, basic genetic principles and concepts, molecular genetics, inheritance patterns, genetic disorders, and genetic technology and applications.

3. Who would benefit from reading a book on genetics?

A book on genetics would benefit anyone interested in learning more about the field of genetics, including students, educators, researchers, and individuals looking to understand their own genetic makeup and potential health risks.

4. Are there any recent advancements or discoveries in genetics that would be included in an overview book?

Yes, there are constantly new advancements and discoveries in genetics, so an overview book would likely include the latest research and developments in the field. These may include breakthroughs in gene editing technology, the identification of new genetic disorders, or advancements in personalized medicine based on genetic information.

5. How can understanding genetics benefit society?

Understanding genetics can benefit society in many ways, including helping to identify and treat genetic disorders, improving agricultural practices and food production, and advancing medical research and treatments. It can also help individuals make more informed decisions about their health and contribute to the overall understanding of human evolution and diversity.