1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books about groups

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    Does any one know of a good book to read about groups for algebra? Ive head that a good book was "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles R. Pinter. And im just learning about groups so it should be basic.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You probably have the Pinter-book from me :biggrin: But yes, I can recommend it very much. The book is basic in the sense that it's completely self-contained. It's quite an easy book, but it eventually manages to get into Galois theory!!
    The thing I like about the Pinter book is that it reads like a novel. It's like the author is talking with you. It's certainly not a typical math book where there is a definition-theorem-proof structure.
    I do recommend making all the exercises, though. A lot of time, much of the important results are hidden in the exercises.

Another nice book is Fraleigh, but I didn't read that one yet.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    If you're looking for an introductory text, I'm a big fan of Armstrong's Groups and Symmetry. You'll want to pair it with another standard introductory text (say, Gilbert's Elements of Modern Algebra), since the presentation is highly geometrical and slightly different from what you'll see in most texts.

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    thanks for the responses.

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5
    Pinter is great. A superb book for very little cost.

I also enjoyed looking through this book:

Visual Group Theory by Carter
    http://web.bentley.edu/empl/c/ncarter/vgt/

It takes a somewhat unusual approach and I would suggest it as a supplement to Pinter, but it contains a lot of really nice material presented in a different way to other texts.

7. Jul 23, 2011 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, you get what you pay for, but there is a free book, notes for math 843, on the website

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/

Among books by experts, and for sale, I recommend Michael Artin's Algebra.

8. Jul 24, 2011 #7
    Fraleigh is the most basic algebra book I've seen, but don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that if that is the appropriate book for the reader (though I would not recommend it to a maths major...). I think most people will be able to handle Fraleigh, it also has answers at the back. You don't need the latest edition, but don't get either of the first two editions because they have no proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook