1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory Books about p-adic numbers?

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    Dear Physics Forum friends,

what are some good books for learning the p-adic numbers? What are the necessary pre-requisites?
    Do I need to know introductory number theory or basics of algebraic/analytic number theory?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 5, 2016 #3
    I don't have experience per-se, but I have been thinking of learning the same things, and did a tiny bit of research on books for this a couple months ago.

The most recommended book was "p-adic Numbers: An Introduction" by Fernando Gouvea. In the introduction, Gouvea states that "the pre-requisites for reading this book are a basic knowledge of algebra and number theory, and a few courses in calculus or analysis." He says the reader needs to know congruences, fields and rings, and the basic facts of point-set topology, continuity, and infinite series. From context, he probably means you need to know the basic topology and properties of continuity and infinite series one learns in an undergraduate analysis course.

5. May 6, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

''p-adic numbers, an introduction'', Gouvea Fernando , Springer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted