What are the best books for different subjects in science?

• Studying
  • Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a suggested book list for different subjects, as books are often more useful and cheaper than teachers. The participants mention various resources such as the Physics Forum, the Chicago Undergraduate Physics Bibliography, and Amazon reviews for finding recommended textbooks. They also mention the importance of looking for commonly used textbooks rather than just those mentioned by specific sources.
leon1127
I am just wondering if there is any suggested book list or we can make a suggested book list for different subjects.
Because i recently realize a good book is often more useful than a good teacher (and also cheaper...)
But it is really hard to actually look at the content of it for particular subjects.
And categorise it as mathematical, theoretical, fictional, beginners, etc.
It would help infinite number of students who are interested in advance science.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, with regards to textbooks, PF has at least two canonical threads

The Best Textbooks Thread (very recent)
Physics Textbooks

and a subforum

Science Book Reviews (includes non-textbooks)

Also, two very useful external links are

Chicago Undergraduate Physics Bibliography
and
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/booklist.html edit: their server is not working as of the moment I'm writing this

Also, www.amazon.com[/URL] has as very many reviews, mostly by students, of most texts.

I think this is the first time I've seen [i]all[/i] these links in one post! I'm proud of myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
so should we post textbooks here are over on the first link?

There's no need to make a new one. rachmaninoff mentioned a variety of lists so there is no point in wasting time. Out of every list that you look at, just see the ones that commonly pop up for a specific course. But be aware that some blatantly mention textbooks that they use and not actually what's good.

Last edited:

What are "Books for different subjects"?

"Books for different subjects" refer to books that cover various academic disciplines or topics, such as math, literature, history, science, and art.

Why are books for different subjects important?

Books for different subjects provide valuable information and knowledge on specific topics, helping readers to gain a deeper understanding and mastery of a particular subject. They also allow readers to broaden their perspectives and learn about new subjects.

What factors should be considered when selecting books for different subjects?

Some factors to consider when selecting books for different subjects include the credibility and expertise of the author, the relevance and accuracy of the information, the level of difficulty or complexity of the subject matter, and the intended audience for the book.

How can books for different subjects be used in research?

Books for different subjects can be used as important sources of information in research. They can provide background information and context, as well as in-depth analysis and evidence to support arguments or claims. They can also serve as a starting point for further research on a particular topic.

Are books for different subjects available in different formats?

Yes, books for different subjects are available in various formats, including print, digital, and audio. The format may depend on personal preference or accessibility, but all formats offer the same valuable information and knowledge on different subjects.