Books For Highschool Students

In summary: He's very strident and argumentative, which I think hurts his case more than helps it. He's also written some books that I find very offensive, like The God Delusion. So, in summary, I've been trying to expose my cousin to the beauty of sciences, but he's not someone who has read much outside of what is required by school. He's in his third year of highschool and while he does very well academically, he doesn't bother to learn much outside of what is required to get good grades in school. I was worried about giving him information that might overwhelm him so I wanted to find some good books that are only require basic knowledge of various topics, but he's not sure
Zubin
I've been trying to expose my cousin to the beauty of sciences but he's not someone who has read much outside of what is required by school. He's in his third year of high school and while he does very well academically(he was valedictorian in his middle school) he doesn't bother to learn much outside of what is required to get good grades in school. I was worried about giving him information that might overwhelm him so I wanted to find some good books that are only require basic knowledge of various topics because he isn't sure what he wants to major in despite being an outstanding student and is confused about what to do with his life other than the fact that he wants to get into MIT with full scholarship(which he will from the looks of it).

My cousin is religious but at the same time he is open minded, however, he does not believe in evolution or abiogenesis. So far I have hard copies of The God Delusion and The Varieties of Scientific Experience for him and some various lecture videos and youtube clips. I'd much appreciate some advice for what books I can recommend to my cousin and youtube clips/lecture videos, etc.(just things so he can get a minor taste for science).

Physics news on Phys.org
Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov is a great book (with lots of information) that introduces physics and is fairly comprehensive. The nice thing about it is that it only requires high school math (no calculus).

I might de-recommend The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I myself find him to be a complete turn-off and very annoying. In my opinion, he's being counterproductive by being so attacking, and he is so arrogant that people will naturally have a tendency to disagree with him. I will never recommend Richard Dawkins to anybody, as I can hardly stand listening to or watching him.

Carl Sagan on the other hand was a very thoughtful individual and far from condescending or arrogant. Even his title shows his understanding and acceptance of other thoughts.

How to Solve it by George Polya is a neat book about problem solving and mathematics. Anything by George Gamow or Richard Feynman would be great as well. They are humorous guys too and well known for their personalities. Freeman Dyson, who has written many books on science, is my last suggestion.

(Also, every author I've listed above were actually scientists themselves, not just popular science writers.)

Here are some pop-science books I remember enjoying when I was in high school:

For physics there's George Smoot's Wrinkles In Time, which I really liked where he talks about how he traveled around, racing against the clock to get the scientific results he wanted, and explains the nitty-gritty day-to-day work of a cosmologist (I think), and Paul Davies' Superforce.

For biology, pretty much anything by Stephen Jay Gould or Daniel C. Dennett, but those are all about evolution, so ... yea.

If you're looking for something closer to a textbook, there's What Is Mathematics? by Courant and Robbins, Mathematics and the Physical World by Morris Kline. For biology there's Biology by Campbell, I've been going through the 4th edition by myself and I'm finding it fun and interesting.

On God and Religion by Bertrand Russel was thought provoking to me.

Dawkins is like the Glenn Beck of Atheism, in my opinion.

1. What types of books are recommended for high school students?

There is a wide range of books that are recommended for high school students, including classic literature, contemporary fiction, non-fiction, biographies, and memoirs. It is important for students to read a variety of genres to develop their reading skills and expand their knowledge.

2. How can books benefit high school students?

Books can benefit high school students in many ways. They can improve reading and comprehension skills, expand vocabulary, increase critical thinking skills, and provide exposure to different cultures and perspectives. Reading books also promotes creativity and imagination.

3. Are there any specific books that are popular among high school students?

Yes, there are many books that are popular among high school students, such as "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "1984" by George Orwell. However, reading preferences may vary among students, so it is important to find books that interest and resonate with each individual.

4. How can parents and teachers encourage high school students to read more books?

Parents and teachers can encourage high school students to read more books by providing a wide variety of reading materials, creating a designated reading time, and discussing books with them. They can also lead by example by reading themselves and showing enthusiasm for books. It is also important to let students choose books that interest them, as this will make reading more enjoyable for them.

5. Are there any resources available to help high school students find books to read?

Yes, there are many resources available to help high school students find books to read. These include online book recommendation websites, book clubs, book fairs, and bookstores. School and public libraries also have a wide range of books available for students to browse and borrow. Additionally, teachers and librarians can provide personalized recommendations based on a student's interests and reading level.