Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for Information Theory

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    I do not know if this is the right place for this post, but if I am doing a mistake by putting it here, If it is so, please let me know where is the right place to put it.

So, I am learning Information Theory, this is first aproach and I would like to know a few names of good books for beginners. Any suggestions??

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Modern digital and analog communication systems by BP Lathi has last 2 units dedicated to Information theory ...its a nice book
    check it out .

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    I'm also taking a course on information theory and we're using Cover & Thomas's "Elements of Information Theory" 2nd edition. Although I am new to the subject, and so far have not studied the theory's physical 'implications' (or applications) to great length, the book does a very good job at introducing the concepts. It is not a physics book, and focuses more on the mathematical workings of info theory, but, then again, the whole theory stemmed from Shannon's paper "A mathematical theory of communication," so studying it as a mathematical/electrical engineering subject is probably the best route if you want to understand the theory's original intentions and implicit limitations.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-333-statistical-mechanics-i-statistical-mechanics-of-particles-fall-2007/lecture-notes/ [Broken] has a short section in lecture 6 that gives an intuitive derivation of the mutual information

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/Books.html is terrific and free.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Mar 6, 2012 #5
  7. Mar 6, 2012 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook