What are some recommended books for beginners in Information Theory?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Information Theory and recommendations for good books for beginners. The suggested books include "Modern digital and analog communication systems" by BP Lathi, "Elements of Information Theory" by Cover & Thomas, and "An Introduction to Information Theory" by MacKay. The conversation also mentions a lecture on the subject and a free online resource. A book by Pierce is suggested as a good starting point for beginners.
Casco
I do not know if this is the right place for this post, but if I am doing a mistake by putting it here, If it is so, please let me know where is the right place to put it.

So, I am learning Information Theory, this is first approach and I would like to know a few names of good books for beginners. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Modern digital and analog communication systems by BP Lathi has last 2 units dedicated to Information theory ...its a nice book
check it out .

I'm also taking a course on information theory and we're using Cover & Thomas's "Elements of Information Theory" 2nd edition. Although I am new to the subject, and so far have not studied the theory's physical 'implications' (or applications) to great length, the book does a very good job at introducing the concepts. It is not a physics book, and focuses more on the mathematical workings of info theory, but, then again, the whole theory stemmed from Shannon's paper "A mathematical theory of communication," so studying it as a mathematical/electrical engineering subject is probably the best route if you want to understand the theory's original intentions and implicit limitations.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-333-statistical-mechanics-i-statistical-mechanics-of-particles-fall-2007/lecture-notes/ has a short section in lecture 6 that gives an intuitive derivation of the mutual information

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/Books.html is terrific and free.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is information theory?

Information theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that studies the quantification, storage, and communication of information.

What is the purpose of books on information theory?

The purpose of books on information theory is to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts, principles, and applications of information theory.

What are some common topics covered in books on information theory?

Some common topics covered in books on information theory include entropy, coding, data compression, channel capacity, and error correction codes.

What background knowledge is required to understand books on information theory?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, probability, and linear algebra, is typically required to understand books on information theory. Some background in computer science and engineering may also be helpful.

How can books on information theory be applied in real life?

Books on information theory can be applied in a variety of fields, such as communication systems, data storage and retrieval, cryptography, and genetics. It can also be used to understand and analyze the flow of information in complex systems, such as the human brain.