1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for particle physics

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    I am mostly interested in particle physics so if anyone can suggest some good books for it

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What level of physics and math have you studied?

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
    High school mathematics and physics and studying further

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4
    I'd recommend:

Martinus Veltman, Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics.

Also, Sean Carroll's book on the Higgs just came out (haven't read it yet).

6. Nov 19, 2012 #5
    Thank you
    o

7. Nov 19, 2012 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

David Griffiths has a new book, "Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Physics", that contains some particle physics, and that I have pre-ordered. From Amazon's website: "Suitable for undergraduate students in non-science as well as science subjects, it uses problems and worked examples to help readers develop an understanding of what recent advances in physics actually mean."

This looks like it is an excellent book that is up to Griffiths' usual high standards,

https://www.amazon.com/Revolutions-...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353432442&sr=1-4

Use the LOOK INSIDE! feature to look at the Table of Contents. Anyone who has an Amazon account can sample portions of the book.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Nov 20, 2012 #7

xristy

Gold Member

Bruce Schumm's Deep Down Things is a conceptual / intuitive presentation of particle physics and many of the mathematical ideas such as Lie groups and gauge theory.

9. Nov 20, 2012 #8
    Ok i will try to have my hands on the books you have mentioned

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook