Books for QFT calculations

1. Hi all,

I'm currently learning QFT out of Mandl and Shaw supplemented by Peskin and Schroeder.

What are the best books for getting experience with QED calculations? Problems with worked solutions would be ideal.

2. jcsd
  3. malawi_glenn

malawi_glenn 4,726
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. I think Ryder is definitely worth having.

Another note. Are you learning QED or are you learning QFT? Because QFT contains a lot of things that you simply won't see in QED, so it's good to keep a broad outlook (anomalies*, non-abelian gauge theories, non-perturbative effects).

* Well, more than what is in QED.

5. cristo

cristo 8,411
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm moving this there. Perhaps the OP should do a search of the book review forum, since there are a plethora of threads on books for QFT.

6. nrqed

nrqed 3,054
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you really mean QED specifically? And at what level are you interested? I mean do you want to go into multiloop calculations?

If you focus on QED and up to one loop only, there is not much to calculate. And all the basic calculations are done in the standard QFT books (I love Srednicki's book)

7. We're going to cover basically the first 9 chapters of Mandl and Shaw: Lagrangian field theory, Klein gordon and Dirac field, covariant photon theory, S-matrix expansion, Feynmann diagrams and rules, QED processes in lowest order and radiative corrections.

No multi-loop expansions.

I will be learning non-abelian gauge theories and the standard model, but not for another 2 months or so.

8. nrqed

nrqed 3,054
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. SO you basically simply need a good QFT book as an extra reference?

Correct me if I am wrong by Mandl and Shaw only use canonical quantization, right? No path integral?

SO if I think about books that are pedagogically good and which are suitable at the level you are pursuing now, I would say that Srednicki would be very valuable. Maybe also Maggiore (A moderne introduction to quantum field theory).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?