Books for Self-Study: Finding Resources for EE Masters Prep

In summary: Hope that helps a little. In summary, electrical engineering student suggests that self-study books for signals and communications, circuits, and optics be found online at edx.org or coursera.org.
manden
Hi, I'm really only in the forum to help my wife (as my questions will show). for 5 years after graduating from an ivy league as an electric engineer she took care of our kids instead of working, and is now going to do a masters in EE to "get back in the game". she's doing some prep work (5 years out of school is a long time, as i know myself as well), so she's just recapping the stuff she learned + reading a bit about topics she didnt take courses in.

as i know nothing about physics/engineering, all i do is i try to find good books for her to study (so far has gone well, but now it seems i need some help). I'm probably not being helpful, but given the insurmountable debt I've built up to her for her sacrifice, I'm going to try regardless.

Just to put things in context
She's gone through Purcell's "Electricity and Magnetism" that i got for her.
She's in the process of going through "Foundations of Digital and ANalog Circuits" by agarwal and lang that i got for her, prob anothr month or so to go (maybe a bit more as she's also going to do all the mit open courseware homework available)
Next she's going to go through "fundamentals of signals and systems" by kamen and heck that she had from her undergrad.
After that, she'd like to do some optics which she didnt do as an undergrad. I've been struggling to find a suitable book there. there seems to be "introduction to modern optics" and "fundamentals of photonics". the prior gets good reviews but is rather short and sparse on exercises. the latter seems to have too few examples/exercises and seems to be at a relatively high level but gets great reviews and seems to encompass a lot. Any other suggestions?

This probably takes her to the start of her masters and might be enough, but if there are any other suggestions of good books that are suitable for self study, then please shoot it out. For example something to build upon the circuits book she's doing (but still "general", not topic specific) or on the signals book would be great - those books are "circuits 101" and "signals 101", so if there are some good "201" books on those topics that would be cool too.

thanks in advance for the help (if any received).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The best way to go would be to take free online courses on edx.org or coursera.org. There are many archived courses, with full video lectures and sets of exercises.
For example:
"Waves and Optics" by Jason Hafner from Rice University
"Fundamentals of Nanoelectronics" by Professor Supriyo Datta from Purdue University
and many other great courses.

manden said:
Hi mate, welcome to physicsforums.

I'm an electrical/electronics engineering student myself in my third year so I think I might be able to help a little. Self studying is a great thing in my opinion and it is way I prefer to learn. The only problem is that it is very easy to slack off and lose interest or to cover the material in a less thorough manner than you would if you were attending a class. The best advice I can give in this regard is to do as many exercises as possible.

For signals and comms the books by Lathi are pretty good: "linear systems and signals" and "modern digital and analog communications systems". For circuits the book by sedra/smith "Microelectronic circuits" is really comprehensive and has a lot of exercises and worked examples.

I'm afraid that I didn't take optoelectronics so I can't vouch for it but my uni uses syms "optical guided waves and devices" for their optoelectronics course. "lectrues on the electrical properties of materials" by solymar and walsh is a great intro book that has fairly minimal mathematical requirements.

What are the best resources for self-studying for an EE Masters program?

The best resources for self-studying for an EE Masters program will vary depending on your specific needs and learning style. However, some commonly recommended resources include textbooks, online courses, practice problems, and study groups. It's also important to utilize resources provided by your university, such as professors' office hours and study sessions.

How can I find affordable resources for self-studying for an EE Masters program?

There are many ways to find affordable resources for self-studying for an EE Masters program. Some options include renting textbooks instead of buying them, utilizing free online resources, purchasing used books, and joining study groups or forming a study group with classmates to share resources.

What are some tips for effectively using books for self-study for an EE Masters program?

When using books for self-study for an EE Masters program, it's important to set a schedule and stick to it, break up your studying into manageable chunks, actively engage with the material by taking notes and asking questions, and regularly review and practice using the information learned.

Are there any specific books or authors that are highly recommended for self-studying for an EE Masters program?

There are many highly recommended books and authors for self-studying for an EE Masters program, but some popular choices include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, and "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku.

How can I make the most out of my self-studying for an EE Masters program using books?

To make the most out of your self-studying for an EE Masters program using books, it's important to set clear goals and objectives, actively engage with the material, regularly review and practice, seek help and clarification when needed, and stay organized and motivated throughout the process.