Books for the Mathematics of Feynman Diagrams

In summary: Applied mathematics usually covers a variety of mathematical techniques that can be used in problem solving. These techniques might include methods for approximating solutions, continued fractions, infinite series, and more.If you are interested in learning more about applied mathematics, I would recommend looking into one of the more accessible books on the subject.
Sunnyocean
Summary:: What is (are) the best book(s) to understand the mathematics of Feynman diagram?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some books for the mathematics of Feynman diagram? (I don't mind if they also include the physics; in fact it may be better).

Ideally I would need books that are very detailed (they don't skip steps in proofs to theorems, solutions to exercises etc.) but, at the same time, they take you from the basic level to a very advanced level.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are unlikely to find one. There are many books on field theory, but likely zero that cover just Feynman diagrams.

Aren't you just looking for QFT-texts? Or are these not rigorous enough?

I'm unaware of any books specifically dedicated to Feynman diagrams, but an entry level QFT text should have a lot of what you are looking for. I found Peskin Schroeder (An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory) very useful when studying for my masters, and still lean on it on the occasion I need to revisit such things as Feynman diagrams. The first part sets out the calculational tools required for QFT, which in this context means the formalism of Feynman diagrams.

Failing this some Universities may publish their lecture notes online for courses on QFT/QED which may be helpful in introducing and justifying the existence of Feynman diagrams.

Sunnyocean said:
Summary:: What is (are) the best book(s) to understand the mathematics of Feynman diagram?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some books for the mathematics of Feynman diagram? (I don't mind if they also include the physics; in fact it may be better).

Ideally I would need books that are very detailed (they don't skip steps in proofs to theorems, solutions to exercises etc.) but, at the same time, they take you from the basic level to a very advanced level.
You're not going to like this. The Feynman diagrams represent the terms in an infinite (Dyson) series of integrals. But, the infinite series diverges(!) If you are looking for a rigorous proof of the mathematics of Feynman diagrams you'll be disappointed. The Feynman diagrams use the concept of an optimal asymptotic approximation.

As others have said, this would normally be covered in a chapter in a QFT book.

There are other techniques for summing a divergent series, such as Borel-Pade summation. This branch of applied maths includes much that can be proved rigorously (a lot was done by Stieltjes) but also results involving continued fractions and the like that appear to work but cannot be proved.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
You're not going to like this. The Feynman diagrams represent the terms in an infinite (Dyson) series of integrals. But, the infinite series diverges(!) If you are looking for a rigorous proof of the mathematics of Feynman diagrams you'll be disappointed. The Feynman diagrams use the concept of an optimal asymptotic approximation.

There are other techniques for summing a divergent series, such as Borel-Pade summation. This branch of applied maths includes much that can be proved rigorously (a lot was done by Steiltjes) but also results involving continued fractions and the like that appear to work but cannot be proved.
Being Dutch I have to correct you: it's "Stieltjes" 😋🙈

To also post something useful: I really liked the follwing notes:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2714

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
haushofer said:
Being Dutch I have to correct you: it's "Stieltjes" 😋🙈

To also post something useful: I really liked the follwing notes:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2714
Thanks. I was distracted by trying to get the l-t-j in the right order!

@TeethWhitener - seems to be a broken link, not connecting as an Amazon user.

Likes TeethWhitener
jim mcnamara said:
@TeethWhitener - seems to be a broken link, not connecting as an Amazon user.
Fixed, thanks.

PeroK said:

There are other techniques for summing a divergent series, such as Borel-Pade summation. This branch of applied maths includes much that can be proved rigorously (a lot was done by Stieltjes) but also results involving continued fractions and the like that appear to work but cannot be proved.
I'm interested, what branch of applied mathematics is that and what would I read to learn more?

AndreasC said:
I'm interested, what branch of applied mathematics is that and what would I read to learn more?
I learned it from Carl Bender's lectures on YouTube:

Likes PhDeezNutz and AndreasC
There are several books specialized in math and physics of Feynman diagrams:

S.M. Bilenky, Introduction to Feynman Diagrams

A. Grozin, Lectures on QED and QCD: Practical Calculation and Renormalization of One- and Multi-Loop Feynman Diagrams

V. A. Smirnov (3 books):
- Analytic Tools for Feynman Integrals
- Evaluating Feynman Integrals
- Feynman Integral Calculus

G. 't Hooft and M. Veltman, Diagrammar

M. Veltman, Diagrammatica: The Path to Feynman Diagrams

I.T. Todorov, Analytic Properties of Feynman Diagrams

Likes vanhees71 and AndreasC
There's also the book called Knots and Feynman Diagrams by Kreimer, I have this book alongsides Veltman's Diagrammatica.
Though as of yet I haven't read them.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the purpose of "Books for the Mathematics of Feynman Diagrams"?

The purpose of these books is to provide a comprehensive guide to the mathematical concepts and techniques used in Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of mathematical expressions used to describe particle interactions in quantum field theory.

2. Who is the target audience for these books?

The books are primarily aimed at physicists and mathematicians who are interested in understanding and using Feynman diagrams in their research or studies. However, they may also be useful for advanced students or anyone with a strong background in mathematics and physics.

3. Are these books suitable for beginners in the field of Feynman diagrams?

No, these books assume a certain level of knowledge in both mathematics and physics. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics before diving into the mathematics of Feynman diagrams.

4. How many books are included in this series?

Currently, there are three books in this series: "Introduction to Feynman Diagrams," "Advanced Topics in Feynman Diagrams," and "Applications of Feynman Diagrams." However, more books may be added in the future to cover additional topics.

5. Can these books be used as a reference for specific mathematical techniques?

Yes, these books are organized in a way that allows readers to easily find and refer to specific mathematical techniques used in Feynman diagrams. Each book also includes a comprehensive index for easy navigation.