Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid

In summary, there is no need to read books of masters like Gauss or Newton, their masterpieces are too old to learn. You can learn Newton's work by taking the course Calculus, or learn Gauss's work buy learning differential geometry or complex analysis or number theory.
damabo
Hi,

I'm doing my first year in mathematics and physics. I heard (I think it was Mathwonk), that it ofter helps to read 'the masters' instead of the pupils, meaning it benefits to read Gauss, Newton, Euclid.
Can I start with this, or is it too early? I was thinking of buying three monumental works 'disquistiones arithmeticae', 'principia mathematica' and 'elements'. Does anybody know which version I should buy? Are there perhaps even more interesting books to look out for?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is no need to read books of masters like Gauss or Newton, their masterpieces are too old to learn. You can learn Newton's work by taking the course Calculus, learn Gauss's work buy learning differential geometry or complex analysis or number theory. There is no need to read their original papers or books, because they are too old, the explanation is much more complex than standard textbook, so reading them costs much more time. And most of the notion and symbol they use in their books are also unused now. But maybe you could get some ideas by reading their masterpieces.

But I suggest you read masters' book or papers not that old. Maybe since 1960' or 1970', I don't know. But it's not easy because you need to learn materials before that :)

damabo said:
I was thinking of buying three monumental works 'disquistiones arithmeticae', 'principia mathematica' and 'elements'. Does anybody know which version I should buy?

I haven't tried to read Gauss but both "Principia" and "Elements" are online completely for free.

I think all anyone needs to read of "Principia"," if they're interested, is the first 19 pages. These are the two chapters called "Defintitions" and "Axioms or Laws of Motion".

The trouble with the rest of it is that Newton doesn't actually use or explain calculus in his arguments. He reasons things out with a very strange hybrid of geometry and calculus-like concepts. You won't ever encounter this math anywhere else.

I'm not sure what to say about "Elements." I gave up on it after a few pages because it seemed much too laborious compared to more compact modern digests. A person who sticks with it might be rewarded with a deeper understanding down the line, I don't know.

(The book I actually ended up enjoying a lot is not on your list: Galileo's "Dialog Concerning Two New Sciences." It's written in the form of a discussion between three people, so it's like reading a PF thread from 400 years ago.)

1. What is "Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid" about?

"Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid" is a collection of books written by famous mathematicians and scientists, including Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss, Sir Isaac Newton, and Euclid. These books contain valuable insights and lessons on various topics in mathematics and science.

2. Who can benefit from reading "Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid"?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics and science can benefit from reading "Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid". These books offer valuable knowledge and perspectives from some of the greatest minds in history.

3. Are the books in "Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid" difficult to understand?

Some of the concepts and theories discussed in these books may be challenging for those without a strong background in mathematics and science. However, the language and explanations used by the authors make the books accessible to a wide range of readers.

4. Can I apply the lessons from "Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid" in my own research or work?

Yes, the insights and lessons from these books can be applied in various fields of study and work. The principles and techniques discussed by the masters can help improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

5. Is "Books from the Masters: Learn from Gauss, Newton & Euclid" suitable for beginners in mathematics and science?

While these books may be challenging for beginners, they can serve as a valuable resource for those looking to expand their knowledge and understanding in these fields. It is recommended to have some basic understanding of mathematics and science before diving into these books.