• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Books in Representation Theory

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I am currently studying Lie Algebra in Particle Physics' by Howard Georgi. I am finding the notes on Weights and Roots quite confusing. Can anyone suggest another book which explains this bit in a better fashion?

Answers and Replies

A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Hi,

I am currently studying Lie Algebra in Particle Physics' by Howard Georgi. I am finding the notes on Weights and Roots quite confusing. Can anyone suggest another book which explains this bit in a better fashion?
Humphreys,
Introduction to Lie algebras and representation theory

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_(representation_theory [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are mathematically inclined, this is a good one:

Hsiang - Lectures on Lie groups

Thanks for the replies. I will try out the books you have mentioned. However, ii was looking for a book that is more physics orientated. I will try both nonetheless.

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The one by Brian Hall is nice, but not at all physics oriented. I haven't had time to read the whole book though. The definitions of roots and weights is roughly where I stopped reading, so I can't really comment on the material after that (but the definitions were easy enough to understand).

Last edited:
If you are mathematically inclined, this is a good one:

Hsiang - Lectures on Lie groups
Perhaps I should also mention that this one has absolutely nothing to do with physics, i.e. no applications to physics. Just math.