Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on chaos theory

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1
    after posting my thread about predicting the future and getting some informatve reply, I got really interested in this.

So is this like chaos theory? is that what it's called? I would definatly love to read more about the theory behind this "predicting the future" and initial conditions and all that......to me, it's just so interesting.

Do you guys have any good books to reccommend? something not too technical, but then again, i dont want it to be like a story novel. so something with some math in it, and some theory, and research and all that...

I have no prior knowledge in this, so just want to get started and see what it's all about.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good start: "Chaos and Fractals" by Peitgen et.al.

Learn the three Icons of Chaos Theory: The Fiegenbaum diagram, the Mandelbrot Set, and of course, The Lorenz Attractor.

It's intimately connected to non-linear dynamics. And if the whole world is made up of non-linear dynamics (the equations of mathematical physics are), then what does that tell you about what's going on?
  4. Feb 12, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you read "Chaos", by James Gleick?
  5. Feb 12, 2005 #4

yea, I haven't read anything yet, so just wanted to give something a try....thanx guys
  6. Feb 20, 2005 #5
    "Does God Play Dice" is good.
  7. Feb 21, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is that about chaos theory? Chaos involves deterministic behavior, not random.
  8. Feb 21, 2005 #7
    Indeed. The title is from the famous Einstein-quote "God does not play dice with the universe.". So it's Einstein, not the auhtor, who's gotten the fundamentals of the theory wrong. :rofl:

But I ought to warn: It's quite popular book and does just contain a handfew equation. Many pictures is provided, though. You should have some differentail equ. knowlage, at least, for benefit maximaly from it, I think.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?