1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on differential geometry

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    As the title says. Can anyone recommend me some good books for differential geometry(preferably ones with proofs and examples/exercises)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What level should the books be?? Undergrad, grad? Do you know topology, analysis, linear algebra,...??

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4
    Thanks i'll be sure to check them out.

It's an undergrad course but i want to do some preliminary reading. Yes to both analysis and linear algebra, but no to topology.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Oct 5, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

7. Oct 5, 2012 #6
  8. Oct 6, 2012 #7
  9. Oct 7, 2012 #8
    I also like do Carmo for the basic curves and surfaces stuff. Once you learn a little topology (not much) you should check out Spivak (especially Volumes 1 and 2). Spivak's differential geometry books are awesome.

10. Oct 7, 2012 #9
    The book by Do Carmo was pretty good. I used it as a supplement in my differential geometry course in college, although it was a little bit advanced for me because it was the first time that I had ever seen any of the material.

A great introductory book is Barrett O'Neil's Elementary Differential Geometry. It has a lot of worked problems and solutions in the back so you can check yourself.

For more problems, try the Schaum's Outline of Differential Geometry

There isn't a perfect overlap of content and notation between these books, but I found that it was more than enough to do well in differential geometry. One thing to remember (which I learned the hard way!) is that 80% of the difficulty is understanding notation! So, the more resources, the better.

11. Oct 17, 2012 #10
    If you're coming at this from a physicist's point of view, both Nakahara's and Chris Isham's books on differential geometry are great. (Google is your friend, etc.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook