1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Books on EM Theory

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    Am starting to read Electromagnetic Theory. Can you suggest some good text books on the topic that will help clear the concepts.
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

At what level? High school, introductory (first year) undergraduate, intermediate/advanced undergraduate, graduate school?

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3
    @jtbell For advanced Undergraduate level

5. Oct 28, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How about Griffiths? It's very commonly used in the US. There's a cheaper international edition, and earlier editions are also good for self-study.

Also, if you use the SEARCH feature at the top right corner of this page to search for the word "electromagnetism" in this forum (make sure the box "search this forum only" is ticked), you'll find many earlier threads discussing such textbooks.

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd recommend the Feynman Lectures vol. II.

7. Nov 1, 2015 #6
    Lorrain and Corson is good. Marion Classical Electromagnetic Radiation is good. As an undergraduate before Griffith we used Marion for the second semester and Panofsky/ Phillips for the first semester. I do not recommend Panofsky and Phillips as the level of the exposition is closer if not meeting or exceeding graduate level.
    I used Lorrain and Corson the summer after I took Emag to learn what I should have learned during the school year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted