What are some recommended beginner's books for studying gravitational waves?

In summary, for a beginner's book on studying gravitational waves, the two volume set by Maggiore is a highly recommended option. Alternatively, reading review papers on gravitational waves in the context of other topics can also be helpful. Some books that have chapters dedicated to gravitational waves include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz, "Spacetime and Geometry" by Carroll, and "A General Relativity Workbook" by Moore. These resources provide a more in-depth understanding of gravitational waves compared to introductory GR books.
clumps tim
Hi, I need a beginner's book to study gravitational waves by myself. I am an undergrad physics major and just took my GR course. A beginner's book on GR will also help me lot. please suggest

Physics news on Phys.org
Most books dedicated solely to gravitational waves tend to be quite advanced and specialized. The best pedagogical one I know of is the two volume set by Maggiore: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198570740/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you're interested in gravitational waves specifically then you'd be better off reading review papers on them in the context of e.g. inflation, compact binaries, radiation reaction and self-forces, or just in general. Here's a review paper on gravitational waves that I really like because of its careful discussion of physical radiation modes vs. radiating gauge modes: http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0501041v3.pdf

There aren't really any introductory GR books that delve into gravitational waves in considerable detail; they usually just present the absolute basics and move on but "A First Course in General Relativity"-Schutz has a very nice chapter on gravitational waves if you want to check that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes relias
Sean Carrol's GR book has a chapter on it, IIRC.

You may also find some lecture notes he wrote on the topic here: http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grnotes-six.pdf

Likes relias
"A General Relativity Workbook" by Thomas Moore, which is supposed to be an elementary, pedagogical introduction to general relativity, has several chapters on gravitational waves. Moore lists gravitational waves as a research interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891389823/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes relias

Hello! Congratulations on taking an interest in gravitational waves. It is a fascinating and cutting-edge area of study in physics. I highly recommend starting with the book "Gravity's Kiss: The Detection of Gravitational Waves" by Harry Collins. This book provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to gravitational waves, including their history, theory, and recent discoveries. It is a great resource for beginners and also includes a chapter on general relativity, making it a perfect companion for your GR course. Other recommended books for beginners include "Gravitational Waves: Volume 1" by Michele Maggiore and "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne. Happy reading and good luck on your journey into the world of gravitational waves!

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

2. How were gravitational waves first predicted?

Gravitational waves were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity in 1915. He theorized that the acceleration of massive objects would create ripples in space-time.

3. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using sensitive instruments called interferometers. These instruments measure tiny changes in the distance between objects caused by the passing of a gravitational wave.

4. What can we learn from studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can provide insights into the behavior of massive objects and the structure of space-time. It can also help us understand the origins of the universe and the processes that shape it.

5. What are some recent advancements in the study of gravitational waves?

In 2015, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) made the first direct detection of gravitational waves, confirming Einstein's theory. Since then, new advancements in technology have allowed for more precise measurements and the detection of additional gravitational wave events.