1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Books on Hyperbolic Geometry

1. Dec 16, 2017 #1
    Today, I was at an award ceremony, where in one out of the two scientific lectures, the professor was teaching the basics of Hyperbolic Geometery. However, due to time constraints, he had to teach very fast, and there was no laser pointer, nor a chalkboard, so he couldn't explain very well, though he wanted to (as that is his research topic).

I found it interesting to see how Hyperbolic Geometery differs from Euclidean Geometery, and I would like to learn more. Can anyone suggest good book(s) on the topic?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2017 #2
    There's a nice undergraduate textbook on geometry, Brannan, Esplen, Gray, which contains intro to affine, projective, inversive, hyperbolic and elliptic geometries.

4. Dec 16, 2017 #3
    Non-Euclidean geometry is studied both in differential geometry and algebraic geometry. You need a strong base in linear algebra, abstract algebra and a bit of topology to learn algebraic geometry; differential geometry requires multivariable calculus, linear algebra, analysis and topology. At bare minimum you need linear algebra and multivariable calculus for differential geometry; Linear algebra and a bit of abstract algebra for Algebraic geometry. I suggest you look into these subjects before diving into geometry.

Anyways I suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/082187571X for Non-Euclidean geometry and https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540434984 for.Euclidean geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted