What are the essential topics covered in inorganic chemistry textbooks?

In summary, the conversation was about finding an inorganic chemistry textbook that covers topics such as s,p,d block elements, metallurgy, qualitative analysis, and coordination chemistry, while also containing basic concepts like solubilities of carbonates and sulphates. The preferred level of the textbook is similar to "March's advanced organic chemistry" or "Atkins chemical principles". The person is currently using "Concise Inorganic chemistry by JD.Lee" but is looking for a book that also includes information on compounds and their colors.
Titan97
Gold Member
I am looking for inorganic chemistry textbooks that covers topics on s,p,d block elements, metallurgy, qualitative analysis, and coordination chemistry. It should contain basic concepts like solubities of carbonates,sulphates, and should be at the level of "March's advanced organic chemistry" or "Atkins chemical principles".
I am using " Concise Inorganic chemistry by JD.Lee" right now.
(While solving problems, I encountered questions like which of the compounds are black in colour, etc. So the book should contain all information).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid my knowledge about books is limited to the Polish ones, or to those that were translated. Neither on the ones I can think of fits.

ok.

1. What is inorganic chemistry and why is it important?

Inorganic chemistry is the study of compounds that do not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds, such as metals, minerals, and gases. It is important because it helps us understand the properties and reactions of these compounds, which have many practical applications in industry, medicine, and everyday life.

2. What are some examples of books on inorganic chemistry?

Some popular books on inorganic chemistry include "Inorganic Chemistry" by Catherine E. Housecroft and Alan G. Sharpe, "Inorganic Chemistry: Principles of Structure and Reactivity" by James E. Huheey, and "Inorganic Chemistry" by Gary L. Miessler, Paul J. Fischer, and Donald A. Tarr.

3. Who would benefit from reading books on inorganic chemistry?

Books on inorganic chemistry are beneficial for students studying chemistry, as well as professionals in the field, such as chemists, chemical engineers, and materials scientists. They can also be helpful for anyone interested in learning more about the properties and reactions of inorganic compounds.

4. What are some common topics covered in books on inorganic chemistry?

Some common topics covered in books on inorganic chemistry include atomic structure, chemical bonding, periodic trends, coordination compounds, acid-base chemistry, and redox reactions. Other topics may include organometallic chemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, and environmental chemistry.

5. How can books on inorganic chemistry be used in research?

Books on inorganic chemistry can be used as a starting point for research, providing background information and theories on specific topics. They can also serve as a reference for scientists and researchers looking for detailed information on inorganic compounds, reactions, and properties.