What are some recommended books on interpreting quantum mechanics?

In summary, The book "Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics" presents the "minimal statistical interpretation" of quantum mechanics, which is considered by some to be the only no-nonsense interpretation available. However, this is just one opinion and the final word on quantum theory has yet to be spoken. There are many other interpretations available, such as those discussed in books like "Bell: Speakable and unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics", "Saunders, Barrett, etc : Many Worlds?", "Heisenberg: Quantentheorie und Philosophie (Quantum theory and philosophy)", and "Jaeger: Entanglement, Information and the Interpretation of Quantum Theory". Other related books that may be helpful in understanding quantum mechanics include "Joos
cuallito
Hi, I'm looking for a book that presents a pragmatic interpretation of QM that'd be appropriate for someone who's taken one semester of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics

gives the "minimal statistical interpretation" which is the only no-nonsense interpretation available.

vanhees71 said:
gives the "minimal statistical interpretation" which is the only no-nonsense interpretation available.

That is surely a valid opinion, but not more and should be marked as such. And I for one wouldn't agree. I don't buy the other interpretations either, but also not the minimal one. The final word on quantum theory has yet to be spoken and until then I can accept the minimal or even other interpretations as a working tool to help conceptualizing but not as something that holds fundamental physical truth.

In any case, if someone asks about interpretations he surely wants to see more than one and pick his personal favorite. There are many books out there, but most just cover one interpretation or another. A few that I found useful are:

Bell: Speakable and unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics
Saunders, Barrett, etc : Many Worlds?
Heisenberg: Quantentheorie und Philosophie (Quantum theory and philosophy)
Jaeger: Entanglement, Information and the Interpretation of Quantum Theory

Related, but not precisely interpretational:
Joos, Zeh, etc: Decoherence and the appearance of a classical world in QT
Schlosshauer: Decoherence and the quantum to classical transition

Decoherence plays a role in a few interpretations but is not an interpretation on its own. It's good to know the details though, and specifically which problems it doesn't solve, which are most.

Of course this list reflects my personal preferences, so take it with a (huge) grain of salt. I'm working on ideas that go in a completely different direction, but these books at least show where I have been before.

Have a good time and don't give up!

Jazz

1. What is the purpose of books on interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The purpose of books on interpretation of quantum mechanics is to explore and explain the different ways in which scientists and philosophers have attempted to understand and interpret the fundamental principles and phenomena of quantum mechanics. These books aim to provide insight and clarity on the complex and often controversial concepts of quantum mechanics.

2. How do these books approach the topic of quantum mechanics interpretation?

These books usually approach the topic of quantum mechanics interpretation by discussing the historical background and development of different interpretations, presenting the key principles and concepts of each interpretation, and evaluating their strengths and weaknesses. They may also include diagrams, mathematical equations, and real-world examples to help readers understand the complex concepts.

3. Are these books suitable for non-scientists or beginners?

While some books on interpretation of quantum mechanics may be more technical and geared towards scientists, there are also many books that are written in a more accessible and beginner-friendly manner. These books may use simpler language and focus on providing a basic understanding of the concepts rather than delving into complex mathematical equations. It is important to read reviews and descriptions of the book before purchasing to determine if it is suitable for your level of understanding.

4. Can reading these books help to understand the nature of reality?

Interpretations of quantum mechanics can have significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality. These books can certainly help readers gain a deeper understanding of the different interpretations and their implications, but it is ultimately up to the individual to form their own conclusion on the nature of reality based on the information presented in the books.

5. Are there any recommended books on interpretation of quantum mechanics?

There are many books on interpretation of quantum mechanics, and the best one for you may depend on your level of understanding, interests, and specific questions you have. Some popular and highly recommended books on this topic include "The Fabric of Reality" by David Deutsch, "The Cosmic Code" by Heinz Pagels, and "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.