Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on mathematical problems

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    Hello,

Is there any books just about the mathematical problems and problems needed to be solved in General Relativity, Adding General Relativity to Quantum mechanics and string theory. i.e. more on when and where in the equations they break down and infinitise

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    Read a book on renormalization theory. That will let you know why the perturbative approach to quantum gravity didn't work, and look at the Wheeler DeWitt equation that will let you know why the non perturbative approach didn't work.

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Is there any specific book on renormalization theory which would be recommended? I have been trying to understand renormalization from material online for some time and I have to admit I still don't really "get" what it is [mathematically].

5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    Check out ''Renormalization'', by J. Collins.

6. Jan 22, 2008 #5
    There are many books on renormalization:

Books on Renormalization

Included in the top 10 search results is the J. Collins book, hopefully this helps.

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  8. Jan 25, 2008 #7
    Thiemann's book dropped from $140.00 to $69.41 at amazon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?