Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on mathematical proofs

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1

bfd

I plan on going onto grad school at some point in the near future and I know I could use a ton of work in the area of constructing proofs. What I'm looking for is a book that could shed some light on how this process is approached. That is to say for example maybe how a mathematician would approach constructing a proof or the thought process behind constructing proofs.

i'm considering getting the book Mathematical Thinking: Problem-Solving and Proofs (2nd Edition) by John P. D'Angelo

Any thoughts are always much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2
    tonight i just purchased a book titled "how to prove it" from books a million by Daniel J. Velleman i don't know how good it is yet because i haven't delved that far into the book.

4. Feb 14, 2005 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's pretty good at what it does (I purchased and read it about a year and a half ago). It's strictly introductory, though. It's designed for someone that has little to no experience actually constructing mathematical proofs.

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I've heard Polya's "How to Solve It" is good. I just read Solow's "How to Read and Do Proofs", and it was okay. For me, the most helpful way has been to find a great book by a great author on some subject that interests you that contains lots of proofs. Study the masters, as Abel advised. Or get the solutions manual or a Schaum's.

6. Feb 15, 2005 #5

bfd

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check out some of the titles mentioned. In the end though I may also just take a class at a university by my house that attempts to teach such a topic. I'm dying to get back into the university environment again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?