Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on practical electronics?

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    Hi all.

I've come to realize there's a giant gap in my electrical engineering knowledge. I've studied plenty of math, physics, circuit analysis, and digital electronics but yet can't figure out how to troubleshoot consumer electronic devices or construct simple gadgets. When I open up a DVD player and look at all the electronic components I think, "wtf?! where can I utilize my knowledge of boolean algebra and the superposition theorem to fix this piece of sh_t?" I've browsed through amazon's list of electronics books and the reviews don't really help. I'm leaning towards Tab Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics. Does anybody have any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    The Art of Electronics, Horowitz and Hill
    Analog Electronics for Scientific Application, Baarnal
    do a good job of bridging the gap but are not troubleshooting texts

For that, its a combination.
    The best web resourse is Sam Goldwasser http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/trnintro.htm

A good book is:
    Troubleshooting Analog Circuits, Bob Pease

As well as books by Joe Carr.

Consumer gear is a nice break from the lab for me. I find it a relaxing pastime. At least with consumer gear, you know it worked at one time, unlike the prototype that makes you think its firmware one hour, and hardware the next, all the while its a little solder ball under the 144 pin IC.

Ron

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?