Books for Proofs in Limits & Infinite Series Course

In summary, the conversation is about finding a math textbook that is helpful for someone studying limits and infinite series. The specific book recommended is "Problem Solving" by C. Larson, which is known for its difficult math problems. The conversation also mentions a book called "Principles of Mathematics" by Allendoerfer and Oakley, which covers the same material but is more focused on calculus and analysis. The conversation also brings up the topic of taking a proof course and recommends a thread on writing math proofs for further help.
Aschere
I'm planning on taking a limits and infinite series course soon and was wondering what book(s) I could get off Amazon that would make the process a little less painless when it comes to proofs? Quantifiers, those sort of things, I have no idea about any of it and I'm taking a pre-limits class this next quarter.

I guess I'm searching for a book that details proof theory in a way that won't crush my skull in the process...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
C. Larson

"Problem Solving"

Exactly what Neurocomp said that book is excellent. But be warned it is a book designed for difficult math problems so do not be afraid it you fail to get most of them.

Also did you take a Proof Course. By that I mean an introductory course on Logic/Set theory traditionally called "Transition to Advanced Math"?

i learned it in high school from "principles of mathematics" by allendoerfer and oakley.PRINCIPLES OF MATHEMATICS
ALLENDOERFER, C. B. AND OAKLEY, C. O.
Bookseller: Fleamarketbooks.com
(Luzerne, MI, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 5.00
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 3.95
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: MCGRAW-HILL BOOK COMPANY, INC., 1955. Hardback. Book Condition: Used: Good. {G/-} Hardback published without a Dust Jacket. TEXTBOOK. HEAVY EDGEWEAR AND CORNER WEAR. TEXT IS IS GOOD CONDITION WITH VERY FEW INK MARKINGS. Has bookstore stamp or person's name in or on the book. Bookseller Inventory # 124196

Last edited:
Most calculus/analysis books have the matter covered on dedicated chapters or sections.

Kummer said:
Exactly what Neurocomp said that book is excellent. But be warned it is a book designed for difficult math problems so do not be afraid it you fail to get most of them.

Also did you take a Proof Course. By that I mean an introductory course on Logic/Set theory traditionally called "Transition to Advanced Math"?

Haven't taken a proof course yet, that's what I'm preparing for. I'm sure Larson will help along the way, thanks a bunch.

1. What are proofs in the context of limits and infinite series?

Proofs in limits and infinite series involve using logic and mathematical reasoning to demonstrate the validity of a certain mathematical statement or theorem. In this context, it often involves showing that a certain limit or infinite series converges or diverges.

2. Why are proofs important in this course?

Proofs are important in this course because they provide a deeper understanding of the concepts being studied. They also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in higher level mathematics.

3. What types of proofs are typically used in this course?

In this course, students will encounter a variety of proof techniques, including direct proofs, proofs by contradiction, and proofs by induction. These techniques can be applied to prove a wide range of results in limits and infinite series.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about proofs in this course?

One common misconception is that proofs are only for advanced mathematicians and are not necessary for understanding the material. In reality, proofs are an integral part of the learning process and can be understood and appreciated by students at any level.

5. How can I improve my proof-writing skills in this course?

Practice is key to improving proof-writing skills. It is important to carefully read and understand the definitions and theorems being used, and to carefully organize and present the steps in your proof. It can also be helpful to study and analyze well-written proofs from textbooks or online resources.