Books on the structure of theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a book called "The Structure of Theory," which explores the different types of theories in various fields. The speaker is looking for resources with specific examples and a focus on assumptions and logic in theories. They mention a possible interest in philosophy books on epistemology and suggest Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law" as a potential resource. The conversation also touches on the application of theories in different fields, such as in statistical physics and social science. The book is written by Ernest Nagel, but the speaker is unsure if it fully meets their needs.
Avatrin
Hi

I recently skimmed through a book called the Structure of Theory. It's a book about what kinds of theories exist.

I would like to learn more about this. What books and websites can you guys recommend?

I would prefer a resource with specific examples of what kinds of theories exist in various fields (my background is mathematics, business and physics, but primarily mathematics).

I would like to learn about their assumptions, but also the logic and mathematics of those theories. Of course, I am not asking for a deep understanding of every scientific field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Philosophy books on epistemology?
Maybe Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law" (MIT Press)
... it depends on your interest. Do you want a list with a taxonomy?

Isn't epistemology about what is knowable? That is not what I am asking for. I'll check out the Feynman book.

I have encountered several different ways of examining and making predictions about physical systems. Sometimes, for instance, in statistical physics you examine how one particle in a gas will behave and assume all particles will, statistically, behave similarly and you assume this can be approximated by a continuous function although you have only finitely many particles.

I assume something similar can be done in social science with people and maybe Earth in geology.

If there is a list with a taxonomy, I would love to see it.

Avatrin said:
I recently skimmed through a book called the Structure of Theory.
Author?

jtbell said:
Author?
Ernest Nagel

I should add that I am not entirely sure if this book is what I am looking for (after all, I barely skimmed through it).

1. What is the purpose of books on the structure of theory?

Books on the structure of theory aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts behind various scientific theories. They help readers gain a deeper understanding of how theories are constructed and how they can be applied to real-world problems.

2. Are books on the structure of theory suitable for all levels of scientific knowledge?

Yes, books on the structure of theory are designed to be accessible for readers with varying levels of scientific knowledge. They provide a clear and concise overview of theoretical concepts, making them suitable for both beginners and advanced readers.

3. How do books on the structure of theory differ from textbooks?

While textbooks focus on providing detailed information on a specific subject, books on the structure of theory offer a broader perspective by exploring the underlying principles and foundations of scientific theories. They also tend to be more conceptual and less technical than textbooks.

4. Can books on the structure of theory be applied to different scientific fields?

Yes, the principles and concepts discussed in books on the structure of theory can be applied to various scientific fields, such as biology, physics, chemistry, and psychology. They provide a general framework for understanding and analyzing scientific theories across different disciplines.

5. Are there any specific theories that are commonly discussed in books on the structure of theory?

There is no specific theory that is exclusively discussed in books on the structure of theory. However, some commonly discussed theories include the scientific method, systems theory, and chaos theory. These theories serve as examples to illustrate the principles and concepts discussed in the book.