Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on the structure of theory

Tags:
  1. Jun 12, 2016 #1
    Hi

I recently skimmed through a book called the Structure of Theory. It's a book about what kinds of theories exist.

I would like to learn more about this. What books and websites can you guys recommend?

I would prefer a resource with specific examples of what kinds of theories exist in various fields (my background is mathematics, business and physics, but primarily mathematics).

I would like to learn about their assumptions, but also the logic and mathematics of those theories. Of course, I am not asking for a deep understanding of every scientific field.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Philosophy books on epistemology?
    Maybe Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law" (MIT Press)
    ... it depends on your interest. Do you want a list with a taxonomy?

4. Jun 28, 2016 #3
    Isn't epistemology about what is knowable? That is not what I am asking for. I'll check out the Feynman book.

I have encountered several different ways of examining and making predictions about physical systems. Sometimes, for instance, in statistical physics you examine how one particle in a gas will behave and assume all particles will, statistically, behave similarly and you assume this can be approximated by a continous function although you have only finitely many particles.

I assume something similar can be done in social science with people and maybe earth in geology.

If there is a list with a taxonomy, I would love to see it.

5. Jun 28, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Author?

6. Jun 29, 2016 #5
    Ernest Nagel

I should add that I am not entirely sure if this book is what I am looking for (after all, I barely skimmed through it).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted