1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Books on thermodynamics

1. Mar 15, 2016 #1
    I want a book on Thermo and statistical physics that will give me a clear insight on every basic thermodynamics systems. I am already done with Shroedar's introduction to thermal physics btw. I basically need a book that clears my concept more than solving problems. And the more on thermochemistry the book has, the better will it be, in fact it should have decent introductory chapters on thermochemistry.

Any advices?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    If you're done with Schroeder, I suggest 'Statistical Physics Part I' by Landau & Lifshitz (Volume 5 of their Course of Theoretical Physics). It's one of the finest books in the series and is remarkably thorough.

You could also check David Tong's excellent lecture notes on statistical physics at http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/statphys.html, which are more elementary than L&L.

5. Mar 26, 2016 #4
    You can try the Fermi's book. This books gives a really good physical insight,it's not a complete book but offer a strong basis on fundamental thermodynamics.
    As always,you can try the Feynman books, did you?
    When i did Thermodynamics i studied Sears's and Sallinger's book, it is not so conceitual as Feynman ou Fermi but is a good book.
    Saying again,for understand the basis of thermodynamics Fermi is the book.

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    I bought "Commenly Asked Questions on Thermodynamics" as a primer. Easy to read printing with one colour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted