Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books recommendations about Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    Recently I took an introductory course on Group Theory applied to chemistry, and learned about symmetry applied to molecular vibrations and how to detemine the detection of the vibrational nodes in IR and Raman Spectroscopy.

My interest is to be able to use Infrared spectroscopy to characterize some diamond films that we grow in our laboratory. My advisor never included the technique in his previous works, Raman is prefered, but I would like to explore that area to check what information I can get from it. I'm more interested in the surface study of these diamond films, like to detect the amounth of Hydrogen terminated (or passivated) carbon atoms on the films.

Introductory books on IR spectroscopy (that I found) only focus on gas phase (molecular vibrations). Do you know of some good books on Infrared Spectroscopy on solids? I'm interested in books that focus on the theory and interpretation of data.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does diamond have Raman active modes????? I do not remember, I'll have to look. Interesting question to ponder.
  4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    Raman is the #1 Spectroscopy measurement used in diamond research. You gain a lot of information from it, like sp2(graphite or amorphous)/sp3(diamond) carbon composition, the stress on the crystal (by the shift of the diamond peak) and the density of defects on the crystal (by the broadening of the peak). Those are the ones I know, there should be more info in the spectra.

Like I told, I only know the treatment of vibrations using group theory with simple molecules (I think that with solids should be more complicated because yo have to consider phonons) but from a paper I found the "Mulliken symbols" (???) and the positions are:

T2g zone center mode (diamond peak), sharp peak located at 1332.5 cm-1
    E2g symmetry zone center phone (G-band), a broad band around 1580-1600 cm-1
    A1g symmetry K-point phonons (D-band), narrow band located at 1350 cm-1

If you have a perfect diamond crystal, only a sharp peak (diamond peak) will appear on your spectra, the other bands belong to sp2 carbon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?