Books recommendations about Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symmetry in molecular vibrations and the detection of vibrational nodes in IR and Raman Spectroscopy. The speaker's interest is in using IR spectroscopy to study diamond films and they are looking for books that focus on the theory and interpretation of data for IR spectroscopy of solids. They also mention the use of Raman spectroscopy in diamond research and the information it can provide about carbon composition, stress on the crystal, and density of defects. The speaker also mentions their limited knowledge on the treatment of vibrations in solids and shares information about the "Mulliken symbols" and their corresponding positions in the spectra.
el_hijoeputa
Recently I took an introductory course on Group Theory applied to chemistry, and learned about symmetry applied to molecular vibrations and how to detemine the detection of the vibrational nodes in IR and Raman Spectroscopy.

My interest is to be able to use Infrared spectroscopy to characterize some diamond films that we grow in our laboratory. My advisor never included the technique in his previous works, Raman is prefered, but I would like to explore that area to check what information I can get from it. I'm more interested in the surface study of these diamond films, like to detect the amounth of Hydrogen terminated (or passivated) carbon atoms on the films.

Introductory books on IR spectroscopy (that I found) only focus on gas phase (molecular vibrations). Do you know of some good books on Infrared Spectroscopy on solids? I'm interested in books that focus on the theory and interpretation of data.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does diamond have Raman active modes? I do not remember, I'll have to look. Interesting question to ponder.

Dr Transport said:
Does diamond have Raman active modes? I do not remember, I'll have to look. Interesting question to ponder.

Raman is the #1 Spectroscopy measurement used in diamond research. You gain a lot of information from it, like sp2(graphite or amorphous)/sp3(diamond) carbon composition, the stress on the crystal (by the shift of the diamond peak) and the density of defects on the crystal (by the broadening of the peak). Those are the ones I know, there should be more info in the spectra.

Like I told, I only know the treatment of vibrations using group theory with simple molecules (I think that with solids should be more complicated because yo have to consider phonons) but from a paper I found the "Mulliken symbols" (?) and the positions are:

T2g zone center mode (diamond peak), sharp peak located at 1332.5 cm-1
E2g symmetry zone center phone (G-band), a broad band around 1580-1600 cm-1
A1g symmetry K-point phonons (D-band), narrow band located at 1350 cm-1

If you have a perfect diamond crystal, only a sharp peak (diamond peak) will appear on your spectra, the other bands belong to sp2 carbon.

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn about Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids?

The best book for beginners to learn about Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids is "Infrared Spectroscopy of Biomolecules" by Henry H. Mantsch and Denis A. Fourman. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to the principles and applications of infrared spectroscopy, with a focus on solid-state materials.

2. Can you recommend a book that covers advanced topics in Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids?

"Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy of Biological Materials" by Heinz W. Siesler, Yukihiro Ozaki, and Satoshi Kawata is a highly recommended book for those looking to delve into advanced topics in Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids. It covers various techniques, applications, and recent advancements in the field.

3. Is there a book that specifically focuses on the practical aspects of Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids?

"Infrared Spectroscopy in Conservation Science" by Michele R. Derrick and Dusan Stulik is a great resource for those interested in the practical applications of Infrared Spectroscopy in conservation science. It covers topics such as sample preparation, data interpretation, and case studies.

4. Are there any books that provide a historical perspective on Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids?

"The Beginnings of Infrared Spectroscopy" by John K. Robertson and W. Michael McClure is a fascinating book that explores the early developments and pioneers in the field of Infrared Spectroscopy. It provides a historical perspective and highlights the key contributions that have shaped the field.

5. Can you recommend a book that covers both theoretical and practical aspects of Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids?

"Infrared Spectroscopy of Industrial Polymers" by R. J. Knutson and Joel L. Carr is a comprehensive book that covers both the theoretical and practical aspects of Infrared Spectroscopy of Solids. It includes detailed discussions on theory, instrumentation, and applications in various industrial settings.