What are some books that assume nothing in mathematics and physics?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the speaker is currently reading a math book called "Math Methods" by Jeffreys, which they like because it starts from the basics and provides thorough proofs. They are also interested in studying physics or math books, specifically quantum mechanics. However, they have encountered books that assume prior knowledge or skip important proofs. They believe it is not unreasonable to expect a book to be self-contained. They also mention Shankar's book as a good resource for learning quantum mechanics.
ice109
right now I am reading Math methods by jeffreys

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521054265/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and I am only 12 pages into it but i like it a lot because it assumes nothing and proves almost everything. hell the first subsection was on what a number is. i tend to ask way to many questions and demand extremely thorough proof and very strict arguments so i would really like a book that developed everything from scratch. another reason i would need a book like this is because i haven't had a lot of the prereqs like classical mechanics and e&m or analysis and abstract algebra. I'm interested either physics or math books

for example I've been looking for a QM book to study and I've met with varying levels assumption and hand waiving. one book didn't prove the wave equation, just invoked it, another invoked hamiltonian mechanics without any development.

i'm sure a lot of you would say that these are unreasonable expectations as one should know Classical mechanics before studying QM and so i'd like to say that i don't intend to skip anything, i have a CM book, but i would like to study a couple of these things concurrently.

is it really that ridiculous to expect a book to be self contained?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by prove the wave equation? If you mean Schrodinger's equation it is not something one proves, it is taken as an axiom of the theory. One can try to 'motivate' it, but not prove it. If you don't know Hamiltonian mechanics I suggest you pick up Shankar's book on QM, which is very thorough and rigorous compared to Griffiths, etc. It has a chapter on the math you need (though it bs's the functional analysis) and a chapter on classical mechanics as well.

no the classical wave equation, i know the schroedinger equation can't be derived, i'll check out shankar's book

Baym's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics has an interesting heuristic "derivation" of the Schroedinger equation.

1. What do books that assume nothing mean?

Books that assume nothing are books that are written in a way that assumes the reader has no prior knowledge or background on the subject. This allows for a more accessible and beginner-friendly approach to learning.

2. Are books that assume nothing only for beginners?

No, books that assume nothing can be helpful for readers of all levels. They are particularly useful for beginners, but can also serve as a refresher or introduction to a new topic for more experienced readers.

3. How are books that assume nothing different from other books?

Books that assume nothing are different in that they do not require any prior knowledge or background on the subject. They are written in a way that is easy to understand and follow, without using technical jargon or assuming the reader's familiarity with the topic.

4. Are books that assume nothing only for academic subjects?

No, books that assume nothing can cover a wide range of topics, both academic and non-academic. They can be found in various genres such as self-help, cooking, and even fiction.

5. How can books that assume nothing be beneficial?

Books that assume nothing can be beneficial as they provide a solid foundation for understanding a topic without overwhelming the reader with complex information. They also make learning more enjoyable and less intimidating for those who are new to a subject.