Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books that teach you French?

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1

Homework Helper

Since French is not really a science, but I found no board that really fits this so I think putting it in Other sciences would be fine.
    French is really driving me crazy!!!! :grumpy:
    After two years studying French, and I find myself understand nothing of it (yeah, absolutely nothing)... I cannot even read an easy paragraph in French, I cannot count in French, I don't know which object is female, and which is male, I cannot supply the correct form of the verbs, blah blah blah... In fact I cannot say anything in French, apart from Bonjour Mosieur, or that kind of thing... :cry:
    So I go to talk to my teacher about this... Asking for some books for self-studying. But he says there is no book that is written in Vietnamese, that really teach you French (I am a Vietnamese, and he's a Vietnamese, too).
    I went to the bookstore looking for some Vietnamese-French books, but I found none!!! :frown: I just found the books that are written all in French, and I don't think I can read them without a teacher guiding me...
    So does anyone here study French? Can you guys recommend me some good books that teach French in English, that one can actually use it to self-study?
    Thanks a lot,
    Mercy beaucoup (is this correct???) :rolleyes:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 31, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

French is not a science, nor is it logical.

"Que ce que c'est.." (or something like that) is garbage.
  5. Jan 31, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, thanks a lot. :smile:
    You saved me... Yay!
    Agreed :devil:.
    And I have to try damn hard to get above the average point... :rolleyes:
  6. Jan 31, 2006 #5
    I've studied French for 6 years, been to Paris for two weeks, and I still can't speak it well. This is the order in which I feel comfortable with it - 1)Reading 2)Writing 3)Speaking. Keep at it and it will get better. I can pretty much understand everything my teacher says and our classes are almost completely en francais. Bon chance.
  7. Jan 31, 2006 #6
    Can you not use an english book teaching french, your english seems pretty good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?