Struggling with French? Any recommendations for English books to self-study?

• Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, French is driving Mercy crazy because she can't understand a thing. She's looking for books to learn the language herself, but her teacher suggest that she use French books that are written all in French.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
Since French is not really a science, but I found no board that really fits this so I think putting it in Other sciences would be fine.
French is really driving me crazy! :grumpy:
After two years studying French, and I find myself understand nothing of it (yeah, absolutely nothing)... I cannot even read an easy paragraph in French, I cannot count in French, I don't know which object is female, and which is male, I cannot supply the correct form of the verbs, blah blah blah... In fact I cannot say anything in French, apart from Bonjour Mosieur, or that kind of thing... :cry:
So I go to talk to my teacher about this... Asking for some books for self-studying. But he says there is no book that is written in Vietnamese, that really teach you French (I am a Vietnamese, and he's a Vietnamese, too).
I went to the bookstore looking for some Vietnamese-French books, but I found none! :frown: I just found the books that are written all in French, and I don't think I can read them without a teacher guiding me...
So does anyone here study French? Can you guys recommend me some good books that teach French in English, that one can actually use it to self-study?
Thanks a lot,
Mercy beaucoup (is this correct?) :rolleyes:

Science news on Phys.org
You might try Schaum's Outlines, combined with audio lessons on CD.

For the Outlines see this page:

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getcategory.php?template=schaums&catid=2715&category=Foreign%20Language&level=3

Scroll down and you will find one for French Vocabulary and another for French Grammar. Hey, maybe one day you'll be the one to translate those into Vietnamese!

Last edited by a moderator:
French is not a science, nor is it logical.

"Que ce que c'est.." (or something like that) is garbage.

Tom Mattson said:
You might try Schaum's Outlines, combined with audio lessons on CD.

For the Outlines see this page:

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getcategory.php?template=schaums&catid=2715&category=Foreign%20Language&level=3

Scroll down and you will find one for French Vocabulary and another for French Grammar.
Hey, maybe one day you'll be the one to translate those into Vietnamese!
Yes, thanks a lot. :smile:
You saved me... Yay!
arildno said:
French is not a science, nor is it logical.
Agreed :devil:.
And I have to try damn hard to get above the average point... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've studied French for 6 years, been to Paris for two weeks, and I still can't speak it well. This is the order in which I feel comfortable with it - 1)Reading 2)Writing 3)Speaking. Keep at it and it will get better. I can pretty much understand everything my teacher says and our classes are almost completely en francais. Bon chance.

Can you not use an english book teaching french, your english seems pretty good.

1. What are the best books to learn French?

The best books to learn French will depend on your personal learning style and level of proficiency. Some popular options include "Fluent in French: The Most Complete Study Guide to Learn French" by Frederic Bibard, "French Made Simple: Learn to Speak and Understand French Quickly and Easily" by Pamela Rose Haze, and "Living Language French, Complete Edition: Beginner through advanced course" by Living Language.

2. Can I learn French solely from a book?

While books can be a great resource for learning French, they should not be your only source of learning. It is important to also practice speaking and listening to native speakers, as well as immersing yourself in the language through media and cultural experiences.

3. How long does it take to learn French from a book?

The amount of time it takes to learn French from a book will vary depending on the individual's dedication, learning style, and previous language experience. It is important to consistently practice and review material to make progress.

4. Are there any books that teach French specifically for business purposes?

Yes, there are many books that cater to learning French for business purposes. Some popular options include "Business French: Learn to Communicate Effectively in French" by Michael McCarthy and "French for Business: A Complete Course for Beginners" by Francoise Grellet and Sue Finnie.

5. Can I use books to learn French if I have no prior knowledge of the language?

Yes, there are books designed for complete beginners to learn French. Look for titles that specifically state they are for beginners or include audio materials to help with pronunciation and listening skills.